The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack's Tattoo and Brand

+22
Dutchman
Captain McAnen
Banditxx1
acosplaylifeforme
Jack of All Trades
Capn_Jack_Savvy
blueyedjack
Jonty Depp - Captain Jack
Jack Sparrows Double
aelyn000
neojacksparrow
Captain McCool
Captain C Sparrow
Jinkxed Jack
bperry
ClownPrinceofCrime89
TheCursed
MadSparrow869
SparrowDive
FrankSparrow
Mojo Turbo
Epic Jack
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jack's Tattoo and Brand Empty Jack's Tattoo and Brand

Post  Epic Jack Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Jack's Tattoo and Brand Photo13

Just wanted to show my newest/coolest addition to my costume. Got this done a few weeks ago, as you may be able to tell the hair hasn't quite grown back yet...that aside, I had a couple of questions:

1. Anyone have a good source or suggestions on acquiring a baldric with the intricate inlay Jack's has? I have a temporary baldric with the right color/proper buckle for now but it's nowhere near as accurate as I'd prefer.
2. What recipe would you propose for dyeing the breeches? I'm going to be acquiring a new pair in white so I do not have to go through the color removing process but I'm not entirely sure what would be the most screen accurate. I've heard a packet of pearl grey and 1/2 a packet of tan is close.
3. For the Anna Maria belt, what eco-flo recipe seems to be the best? Range Tan looks the closest but even that isn't quite right alone...wondering if anyone else had some experience with it before I start ruining strips of leather.
Epic Jack
Galley Slave

Back to top Go down

Jack's Tattoo and Brand Empty Re: Jack's Tattoo and Brand

Post  Mojo Turbo Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:37 pm

WOW! You joined the tattoo club? That is a small group. Congratulations.

BALDRIC
1. ACME has the best baldric on the planet - screen accurate bar none. (http://myworld.ebay.com/*acme*brand)

2. JAT has the number two best baldric on the planet - mostly accurate and a little cheaper.(http://www.jattreasury.com/)

Breeches

Jack's pants are an olive grey, which you can achieve using rit pearl grey.
You need RIT dye color remover, a packet of tan and two packets of pearl grey.

First step: you need to strip the color completely using rit color remover.

Captain Jack Savvy says,
When using Rit Dye remover you really have to let it soak for about 15-30 minutes using warm water. DO NOT USE HOT WATER DUE TO SHRINKAGE!!!! Also if your breeches are made up of anything synthetic (polyester, acrylic, spandex, or a blend) you may have difficulty getting the color out. If it is 100% cotton you will have an easier time. For additional fading you can use a little bit of extremely dilute bleach. I am talking one cap full for the medium setting on your washing machine. You can also spot dye your pants like I did for my CoTBP breeches. Faded them a little too much and just spot dyed them in certain areas. Naturally the photos don't really due them justice because of the lighting. Spot dying also allows you to blend the areas better.

After you strip your color - use a combination of 2 packets of pearl grey and half a packet of tan.

Captain Jack Savvy says,
Dying is a little different mainly because when the material is wet they turn out to be about 2-3 shades darker than the actual color.

When dying it is better to take baby steps. Use about 1/4 to 1/2 of a pack if you are using the dry stuff and about two cap fulls if you are using the liquid. Again use warm water and fill up your washing machine on a small to medium load. The washing machines drums vary so I would say about 1/3 full.

Run the wash cycle for about a minute so that the dye is mixed well with the water. Pull up your dial to stop.

Now put your breeches in for about 5 minutes and let them soak. Ring them out really well over the washer and let them dry. Judge the color difference before and after. Digital photos in natural light (outside) is a good way to start. Continue this process until you achieve the desired color.

It is better to be on the lighter side than to go too dark and have to start the process ALL over again. Believe you me! I speak from experience!!! Oh yeah! Definitely let these bad boys AIR DRY before you start washing them. This will give the dye time to set in. If you wash them afterwards make sure you wash them by themselves or you will have pearl grey clothing!
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankSparrow Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:24 am

Nice tat

I've been toying around with the idea of getting one myself, but I kinda want to do it in the wrist area, ehh IDK
FrankSparrow
FrankSparrow
Blaggard

Back to top Go down

Jack's Tattoo and Brand Empty Tattoo Club all the way!

Post  SparrowDive Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Arg!

Jack's Tattoo and Brand Photo
SparrowDive
SparrowDive
Eunuch
Eunuch

http://www.CliffTullis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MadSparrow869 Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:42 am

glad to know im not the only one.......been off a few days
MadSparrow869
MadSparrow869
Landlubber

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCursed Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:59 am

I'm getting mine in June on my birthday hopefully. Although I want to get the family name (Of my granddfather) written under it in script so it'd say "Morgan" he was a sailor going right back so a nice tribute Smile Getting it done lower so I can have the wristwrap cover it up
TheCursed
TheCursed
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  ClownPrinceofCrime89 Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:43 am

Interesting, you got it 1/2 Johnny 1/2 Jack! Welcome to the family, here's mine.
Jack's Tattoo and Brand 36401_474738414096_749639096_6259303_3031625_n
ClownPrinceofCrime89
ClownPrinceofCrime89
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCursed Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 am

Awesome mate Smile Btw anyone mind if I print these pics to take into the tat-shack? Wanna show them what I want. Cutlass
TheCursed
TheCursed
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:28 am

Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCursed Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 am

Wiki scares me, cheers though man might have to use that too Very Happy
TheCursed
TheCursed
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  bperry Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 am

I haven't been brave enough to get a real tattoo. I wonder if there is a fake one that looks authentic.
bperry
bperry
Bad Egg

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCursed Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:40 am

bperry wrote:I haven't been brave enough to get a real tattoo. I wonder if there is a fake one that looks authentic.

Jonties does. Put them a day or so before an event and they really come up great, so does his P brand but i've yet to get one of those.
TheCursed
TheCursed
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  MadSparrow869 Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 am

anyone actually gonna brand themselves? Shocked
MadSparrow869
MadSparrow869
Landlubber

Back to top Go down

Post  ClownPrinceofCrime89 Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:35 am

I've been considering it.
ClownPrinceofCrime89
ClownPrinceofCrime89
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Post  bperry Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:41 am

One of my friends Jose actually did brand himself and showed a video. No thanks! Now it has faded and doesn't show up that well.
bperry
bperry
Bad Egg

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:47 am

TheCursed wrote:Wiki scares me, cheers though man might have to use that too Very Happy

But it's arrrrr wiki, savvy?
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain C Sparrow Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:19 am

I got mine done two weeks ago too. I love it, I only really ever wanted one tattoo and that was the one. What a Face
Captain C Sparrow
Captain C Sparrow
Galley Slave

http://captaincsparrow.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCursed Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:33 am

Yeah sorry I jumped to wikipedia Sparrow my compass isnt working...
TheCursed
TheCursed
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:29 pm

I have also been toying with the idea of actually getting the tattoo... it's a really tough decision for me.

I don't have any other tattoos, and I've never really been the "inked" type, you might say. Heck, I don't even have an ear piercing (which is happening before the summer, by God!). I know other people who have gotten it, and for a long time I thought to myself, "wow, they're probably going to regret that when the movies aren't 'cool' anymore." And so far that's really been my primary reason not to get one. I've been afraid that if I cave and actually do it, in 5, 10, or 15 years I'll look at it and go, "oh gads, why did I do that?" Especially since it's in a really obvious place, and if you wear short sleeves it's bound to show. I know a lot of employers wouldn't be thrilled with that (let alone my parents, who are very straight-laced). But the people I know who did it seem quite happy with it, and the more I think of it, the more I realize that if I get any tattoo, this is probably going to be top on my list.

I've been doing the character since Halloween of '03, and doing it "seriously" since early '04, so Jack has been a pretty huge part of my life. I'm starting to think that, even if I get the tattoo now (which is kinda' late in the game for it to be completely worth the money and commitment, costume-wise), I'll still feel it's a reminder of a big part of my life, even years down the road when I'm not doing this anymore. It's just... will I want that reminder? I'm so conflicted! Sparrow
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

http://www.piratesofillrepute.org

Back to top Go down

Post  ClownPrinceofCrime89 Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 pm

I got mine because it symbolized me getting into costuming like I have. If it wasn't for Jack, then I wouldn't have done Joker. If it wasn't for Joker, I wouldn't be heading to LA in June to start my apprenticeship in a special effects make-up studio. Jack was a key step in my life. It's a thank you to the character and Johnny more than anything.
ClownPrinceofCrime89
ClownPrinceofCrime89
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Post  neojacksparrow Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm conflicted too and have thought about getting it because it has been such a huge part of my life
neojacksparrow
neojacksparrow
Harbour Hog

Back to top Go down

Post  aelyn000 Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Just throwing this out there... liquid collodion is great for realistic artificial ( scratch ) scarring. Plan on getting some for my Ange scar! And then using it on Travis for his brand. Smile Much less painless too, I'd imagine. Unless it's like gluey and you have to pick it out of your arm hairs...
aelyn000
aelyn000
Strumpet
Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:32 pm

I LOVE that stuff. It looks amazingly realistic when done correctly (which honestly is not hard at all) Unfortunately, I have actually tried it for the P brand, and... well, you've hit upon it right here: if you have ANY hair on your arm whatsoever, OMG OWE! Shocked

Also, it puckers, so it would be sort of "inverted" since Jack's is raised.

Overall, I think I'm going to cheat and do henna for the summer. It's dark instead of light, but it should "read" alright.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post  ClownPrinceofCrime89 Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Be careful with the rigid collodian, if you have sensitive skin it CAN and WILL burn you...I used to use it for my Joker scars before it started burning the skin. I'd do the haunted house on the weekend and go the next with them still on my face as red marks for the next week.
ClownPrinceofCrime89
ClownPrinceofCrime89
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Wow, good to know! I've never had a reaction to it, but I know a lot of people with various skin sensitivities (most notably latex), so that does make sense.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next