The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Almost Completed Pirate Costume!

2 posters

Go down

My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! Empty My Almost Completed Pirate Costume!

Post  Captain McAnen Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:09 am

I've posted these photos over at KTTC but thought I'd go ahead and repost here as well.

This is my costume for my original pirate character, Captain McAnen. Originally I wanted to put together a Jack Sparrow costume but this was back in '06 when people were just starting to sell Jack Sparrow costume pieces of quality and it was gonna be a bit too pricey for me at the time. So I decided to go a different route, and 5 years and several hundred dollars later I have the finished result. The fun part is I have several different pieces that I can mix and match, and there's plenty of room for tinkering since I'm not trying to be accurate to a preexisting character. After several years of research I am currently in the outline phase of what will be my first novel (Book 1 of a planned trilogy) about the character.
The book will be a fun adventure unto itself, but for now I am having a ton of fun with the costume. It will change and evolve, but I had the sad realization a few weeks ago that short of a frock coat and a couple of rings I'd like to get the costume is essentially finished. Now there is only a bit of tweaking I can do here and there, but the original goal of creating the character's look is complete. This has lead me to go back to my original goal and build a Jack Sparrow costume as so many of you here have done, and I'm glad to have your guidance as I take on this challenge. I just purchased an emerald skull ring from ACME Brand that I am calling my first official piece in the journey to create a highly accurate DMC/AWE outfit!
Now on to the photos:

The "first pass" McAnen costume I put together for Halloween and Texas Renfest back in 2008. I still use the hat, sash, and breeches, but everything else has changed.
My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! McAnenpose

What we'll call the "second pass" as I started to rebuild and come up with the costume back in April.
My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! IMG_5100

And then there is the finished product last month. I have a new belt on the way that I am going to switch to, but here the costume is essentially complete.
My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! CapnGlen
My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! CapnGlen2

One fun thing to do is give the character a couple of different looks (and since I'm writing a trilogy it makes since to me that there would be a few different versions of the costume) so I have this alternative version for when I want to change things up. As I tweak it here and there and add new pieces I will basically create various looks to represent different parts of the story. This is what I'm calling my Book 3 version of the costume.
My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! FullOutfitBlack1

And lastly, here's me clowning around with my first mate, Scurvy Steve. We're trying to get a little business going as pirate entertainers for parties and events. I did a birthday back in April which was a lot of fun and I made a bit of coin, so it seems like a reasonable enterprise and good excuse for having bought all this gear!
My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! IMG_1262
My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! IMG_1267
My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! IMG_1265
My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! IMG_1270

Captain McAnen
Captain McAnen
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

My Almost Completed Pirate Costume! Empty Re: My Almost Completed Pirate Costume!

Post  Mojo Turbo Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:11 am

looks great! - welcome aboard
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down