The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing

+7
Mojo Turbo
Jinkxed Jack
Capt Jag
Capn_Jack_Savvy
pinder91
liarr
merkymerx
11 posters

Go down

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing Empty The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing

Post  merkymerx Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi guys! I noticed in the recent listings of ACME's baldric on eBay, a new waistcoat was present. I'm pretty sure those of you who update yourselves on eBay Sparrow wares noticed the same thing.

Here are the pics from his listing:

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing 4

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing 3

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing 2

It's definitely the most screen-accurate OST vest I've ever seen. Even the soutache seems to have the right texture and color. The back fabric is most impressive as well.

Just putting this out here because it really caught my eye. I wonder where he acquired such a vest Smile
merkymerx
merkymerx
Scoundrel

Back to top Go down

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing Empty Re: The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing

Post  liarr Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Back in the OST speculation period (all of last year), the Jack community struggled to find a good vest fabric. One was found on a fabric site, but it was red. After that find was announced, someone purchased all of it - shortly after, Acme announced his vests. I think he may have picked it all up and re-dyed it. However, I think he may have had some custom made as well....as far as the vest itself, Acme made them for a short time, until his fabric supply ran out.
liarr
liarr
Mate

http://www.captainhenryspiratestore.com

Back to top Go down

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing Empty Re: The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing

Post  pinder91 Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:31 pm

That vest does look quite a bit different than his original offerings. I used to own one of his kits. This is different, and much nicer.
pinder91
pinder91
Cackhanded Deck Ape

Back to top Go down

Post  liarr Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 pm

perhaps it's his personal gear?
Pirate Book
liarr
liarr
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  merkymerx Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:15 pm

pinder91 wrote:That vest does look quite a bit different than his original offerings. I used to own one of his kits. This is different, and much nicer.

Yes I agree with you that it looks much nicer than the fabric he used to offer. The colors are totally different from each other.
merkymerx
merkymerx
Scoundrel

Back to top Go down

Post  merkymerx Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 pm

liarr wrote:perhaps it's his personal gear?
Pirate Book

I was thinking that actually. Though I haven't done any detailed comparison between that and his old vest, the embroidery, from what I remember, looks very similar to the first ACME OST fabric (again this is just based on memory). So I'm guessing that he might have had a different one made for himself by the same people who worked on the fabric that he sold.

I'm crossing my fingers though that he would once again offer kits in the future with this new fabric. ^^
merkymerx
merkymerx
Scoundrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 pm

That is the very same fabric throughout all of his manufacturing of OST waistcoats.

I have the very same vest with the exception that I have painted all of my pattern with fabric paint using gold.
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  liarr Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Capn_Jack_Savvy wrote:That is the very same fabric throughout all of his manufacturing of OST waistcoats.

I have the very same vest with the exception that I have painted all of my pattern with fabric paint using gold.

UM, how do you feel about the gold paint you applied after seeing the movie?
liarr
liarr
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  merkymerx Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:07 am

Richard just posted about the new waistcoat over at KTTC

http://www.keeptothecode.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=21303

Also I sent him an email inquiring about the new waistcoat's availability. He mentioned that there's a possibility he'll be starting work on them mid-November.

Very Happy
merkymerx
merkymerx
Scoundrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:53 am

liarr wrote:
Capn_Jack_Savvy wrote:That is the very same fabric throughout all of his manufacturing of OST waistcoats.

I feel great! Jolly Roger
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:42 am

Capn_Jack_Savvy wrote:
liarr wrote:

I feel great! Jolly Roger

And you should... I remember the whole "gold vs red vs pirates vs ninjas vs smurfs vs elves" debate about the actual thread color. Having seen the movie several times, the photos several times and the OST books with photos, I really don't see how anyone can say it's not some shade of gold...

So yes, I'm sure you do, in fact, feel great about said color choice UM... Drinks all around!! SmileBeer
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

http://www.thecombatcon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  liarr Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:18 am

Laughing
liarr
liarr
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:20 am

Hmmm, at first I was in agreement with UM on that being the same fabric as Richard has used before thinking it was just the sunset'ish lighting he has in those photos creating the more golden reflection look on the filigree. But now after seeing Richards post on KTTC changes that assumption. I'm anxious to get Christian and Button's perspective on this potential new waistcoat.

For comparison, here is ACME's original OST vest photos...

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing Img_0110The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing Img_0111The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing 3-610

Then here is the kit I have that ACME offered...

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing AcmeOSTwaistcoatkit
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:07 pm

Agreed. The first fabric is definitley reddish, whereas those new pics are a dark gold...ish..
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

http://www.thecombatcon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:09 pm

not to mention the back panel is totally spot on.....
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:50 pm

This is the same material as before. The red material was easily dyed blue but the synthetic thread creating the design doesn't hold the dye well and thus it still has shades of red it it. The blue and red color makes a very dark maroon.

Having the movie right now I have done numerous screengrabs of Jack in the bright sunlight (not the post processed darkened pictures). It does have a gold gleam to the pattern. Probably not as gold as the color I have chosen but I also haven't had a chance to set the fabric paint with an iron and weather the crap out of my waistcoat!

Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  capt.J.j.sparrow Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:58 pm

what was the original cost of this thing?
capt.J.j.sparrow
capt.J.j.sparrow
Boatswain

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Captain-Jack-101/178129512224586

Back to top Go down

Post  1qsp Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:30 pm

the original acme waistcoat was 333 when i bought it with shipping
1qsp
1qsp
Rascal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:43 pm

My waistcoat kit came to $200, but that's without buttons.
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Ok, here we go folks. ACME is now selling sets of his waistcoat buttons, but I'm more interested in the cloth that they're sitting on, lol

The new OST waistcoat on ACME's eBay baldric listing Acme_b10

I have the OST vest kit from ACME as mentioned above, and this closeup of the supposed "new" fabric is definitely different than his previous offering. The filigree weave is slightly different, not the pattern, but how the stitching threads line up.

Looks like I'm definitely going to save some pennies for his new waistcoat, it's much more betta! I hope he offers it in kit form again.

Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  capt.J.j.sparrow Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:12 pm

are you up to selling it?
capt.J.j.sparrow
capt.J.j.sparrow
Boatswain

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Captain-Jack-101/178129512224586

Back to top Go down

Post  Button It Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:21 pm

It looks like the same fabric as before (the weave on that ACME one has the same differences to the OST one that were apparent in the Fabric Guru fabric) but dyed a different shade of blue , so it doesn't have that greenish tinge this time. Although apparently he'd "nailed it" last time so I wonder why the change of colour? Wink I'm steering clear of the whole gold thing this time before we enter another war over semantics, and of course I can only see a photo, which as you know can be easily manipulated - would be interesting to see an old vs new ACME fabric to get a better idea of what improvements have really been made. The back fabric does look pretty good to me though.

PS
I also have the correct waistcoat buttons available if you need them, both OST and prior films.
Button It
Button It
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.simonnewton.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  pinder91 Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:28 pm

pinder91
pinder91
Cackhanded Deck Ape

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack of All Trades Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Oi mates, I know first hand that the kits he offered before and that dye job are NOT the same. He took many swatches with him while it was displayed here in Hollywood and we nailed one down. Don't care what anyone says about gold. I saw the real one and it's not gold. I also OWN one of the few new versions of his waistcoat with the new backing... (spot on mind you). Will there be more in the future? Well that's not for old JAT to say but I did see smoke coming out of the smokestacks where the Oompa Loompas toil. My advice... keep a weathered eye mates... Wink
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Dealer
Dealer

http://www.etsy.com/shop/jackoalltrades

Back to top Go down

Post  merkymerx Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:37 pm

That's pretty exciting news JAT! I'm always checking KTTC each day for any updates on new ACME wares. Smile
merkymerx
merkymerx
Scoundrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down