The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch

Go down

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Empty The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch

Post  Mojo Turbo Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 am

Ok, so a long long time ago in a Caribbean far away I was watching eBay for a while, trying to find an affordable wig. I knew I didn't want to make mine from scratch, but also didn't want to spend hundreds on one. I saw a Ms Mazie go on sale, but didn't have the stones to buy it - our good friend Jodo did - and he won it. If you want to read his story - read "the epic tale of Jodo's wig." (http://keeptothecode.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=18721)

a little later a guy put his home made wig up for sale and these were his pics.

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch JackSparrowLogoWig001_zps50a6b51a

He had said that he made the entire thing himself - including the beads. In fact, the only things that I think he bought were the bandanna and the sea coin.

First test fitting:

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch MojoV2Costume7_zps7bf02e6d

However, once I got it - I began to find more and more that I didn't like about it.

1. the giant yellow orange bead on the kuchi and the fact that the metal hex bead was heavy like a fishing lure

2. not enough dreads for me, it looked too close to a movie 1 wig.

3. the piece of eight as well as all of the coins were made from tribal belly dancing coins that Jack doesn't wear.

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Tribal_belly_dancing_coins_zps40fc226b

So I bought a Ms Mazie Kuchi from a Jack here at KTTC (Tall CJ?), bought a new bandanna, bought a Master Replica piece of eight from Amazon and waited for everything to arrive.

Once I had two of everything, I put the old stuff on my first costume base wig - put it all together and sold this as a "close Jack wig"

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch JackSparrowLogoWig002_zps297c65ed

Still watching ebay, I found a very inexpensive rasta wig for extra dreads

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch JackSparrowLogoWig003_zps90f9962d

My wife sewed them in and they looked like this:

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch JackSparrowLogoWig004_zpsa6ab2a17

It was also at that time, that we took the side pony tail and cut it shorter so that it would stand up. But notice that the wig ties and hair coins are the same.

Here is my bead dangle history:

Piece of Eight:

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch JackSparrowLogoWig006_zps4476fc46

1. first one - handmade from ebay
2. New Master Replica
3. Jack's

Kuchi Dangle:

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch JackSparrowLogoWig005_zpsf06d6184

2. First Gen Ms Mazie
3. Jack's

Tribal Skunk Bead Dangle:

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch JackSparrowLogoWig007_zps2a2d6b5c

2. Cristian Cornejo original
3. Jack's

Next, I wanted to replace all of the belly dancing coins and hair ties. Jodo and I spent a weekend shifting through screen shots and tons of pictures until "we believed" we narrowed down Jack's hair pieces to these coins only. Here is our wig chart: http://jacksparrowcostuming.wikispaces.com/file/view/JackSparrowWigChart.pdf

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch JackSparrowLogoWig009_zps0e0f012b

3 luck coins in the back of the pony tail
(I got from Joanne's)

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch IMG_20100711_154906_zps3a073604

the Chinese wealth coin set (I got from UM)

gold Balboa coin (bought off the internet)

blue wave sea coin
(mine is a Ms Mazie and came with the original wig)

2 small half scallops (UM)

2 pya coins (left from the original wig)
* Technically the 2 pya coins should look like this:

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Pyacoins_zpsfc0a2419

Personally I don't like the fact that they are identical to the piece of eight coin, so I left them as just two scallops.

I also made the colored thread tuft with some colored thread I got from Joanne's

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch IMG_20100711_154914_zps95cbb00b

The sail needle is an actual bone and came from the original wig. It's thinner and less round than Jack's, but I like it because it's very lightweight.

After I spent a few days and put those all in the right place. My wife later went through and retied my back pony tail and leather braid.

We took some of the extra fly away hair that fell in front of the Kuchi dandle and used a disposable razor to create "wispy side bangs" that poke out from under the bandanna.

The result is this:

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch JackSparrowLogoWig010_zps1f6940e8

Now that the new back braid is done, we created some new open pockets where you can see the wig netting, but with my own brown hair underneath... so I may be getting a second rasta wig here in a week or so and adding some more dreads to fill in the empty space.

I can take hi-res of anything, answer questions or whatever.

Thanks for reading.
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Empty Re: The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch

Post  Mojo Turbo Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:35 am

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Completedwig6_clseup_zpsee9e8165

The new dreads would go on the left and right under the topmost portion of the rear pony tail. (see the hole?)

Believe it or not it has 30 dreads now. Which means it had 15 when I bought it, cause they rasta wigs have 15 as a rule. (which means I am going to bump it up to 45)
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Empty Re: The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch

Post  Mojo Turbo Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:36 am

second rasta wig is in... only more evidence that I could have done the whole thing myself and skipped a step where I bought a Jack wig from a private sale

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Rastawigexamples_zps5b02983e

3 Rasta wigs and a light wave brown wig - and you can make your own Jack wig - with all of the alterations I have put in, it hasn't been worth the initial purchase. Not when I have replaced everything and added 2x the amount of dreads.
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:37 am

In fact, doing my own research - you could buy the dreads, the brown base wig, the bandanna and the 3 bead dangles for about $130 shipped. Then it would just be assembly and the remaining random coins and ties. Some of you asked about the rasta wigs, and there is definitely a cheaper type of dread out there that looks like yarn, or twisted hair.

You want the caps that have the dreads that look like this:

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Rastawigdreadexamles1_zps22ffa791

Much more better wig with 45 dreads.... blast now I need to move some coins around..

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Muchmorebetterwigpartthres_zps5d7f9615
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:39 am

terrible lighting.. my wife didn't want to go outside because it was too hot....

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Muchmorebettawigparttrespartdeaux_zps3a50ee31

who can spot the non-SA element we added?

better view of my intentional non-sa-ness - and after I moved a few of my coins around

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch Muchmorebettawigparttrespartdeauxart3_zpscfed22a3
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:41 am

Much more better.... and much more fun to make your own

The Epic Tale of Mojo's Wig /// Tutorial /// Making a Jack wig from semi-scratch MojoTurboWigRef1_zps809bfdba

* Due to the losing of the free wiki, I had to move a bunch of my graphics so I had to rebuild this thread
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down