The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sith Camaro.com Boot Tutorial - w/downldble pdf

+2
BroadSword
capt.J.j.sparrow
6 posters

Go down

Sith Camaro.com Boot Tutorial - w/downldble pdf Empty Jack Sparrow Boot tutorial

Post  capt.J.j.sparrow Tue May 31, 2011 7:25 pm

I was wondering if anyone had a boot tutorial? I desperately wish to make a new pair. Dancing Jolly Roger
capt.J.j.sparrow
capt.J.j.sparrow
Boatswain

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Captain-Jack-101/178129512224586

Back to top Go down

Sith Camaro.com Boot Tutorial - w/downldble pdf Empty Re: Sith Camaro.com Boot Tutorial - w/downldble pdf

Post  BroadSword Tue May 31, 2011 7:35 pm

Sith Camaro had a pretty good one that I was going to try, but his whole website is "suspended" if you Google "Sithcamaro". Anyone know whats up with that? Is Toby a member here??????
BroadSword
BroadSword
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Sith Camaro.com Boot Tutorial - w/downldble pdf Empty Re: Sith Camaro.com Boot Tutorial - w/downldble pdf

Post  capt.J.j.sparrow Tue May 31, 2011 7:37 pm

I know! I was looking for it, and now it's gone!! No
capt.J.j.sparrow
capt.J.j.sparrow
Boatswain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 am

it looks like he is just having board issues...
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:08 am

Yeah, that one is pretty good... I used that one for my first pair of Jack boots, though I used a pair of Wellington boots rather than shoes...
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

http://www.thecombatcon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BroadSword Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:02 pm

Wellington?? Is that a brand or style?? I'd rather start with a boot than a shoe if I can help it.
BroadSword
BroadSword
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawrence252 Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:51 am

If you start with a boot, you will have more work blending the existing shaft to your new one.

The trouble with boots is, most people will use a different base shoe. Meaning you will have to make the pattern to specifically fit your shoes. It will have to be trial and error. I would suggest getting your patterns right first with some cheap fabric, and pin them onto your base shoe until you are happy. Then all you will have to do is make new patterns in you suede and attach and stitch to the shoe.

I've made a few pairs of boots using the "boot topper" method (not all pirate boots). Ill add some pics later if you think they might help you.

Lawrence
Lawrence252
Lawrence252
Bilge Swiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:59 am

Well Toby's website is back up, but the tutorial is still down. I am asking him for the 411
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:16 am

BroadSword wrote:Wellington?? Is that a brand or style?? I'd rather start with a boot than a shoe if I can help it.

It's a type of boot. The pair I used are very similar to the ones in the link. But Wellies are also the term more popularly used for the rubber boots. But obviously you don't want those. And yes, you do have to make sure you get the suede on the boot smoothly on the shaft, especially around the ankles.

I actually used imitation seude cloth that I got at Hancock Fabrics. It looks like suede, but is thinner. I used Barge rubber cement and roughed up the surface of the boots with sandpaper. Then I put a coat of Barge. I did the shaft first, carefully smoothing out all of the wrinkles. I stuffed newspaper into the boots before doing this to make sure I had a firm surface to work on. Then I attached the toe piece, then the heel piece.

Prior to gluing them on, I had added stiching to the seams, so that even though they were glued it still had the look of being stichted. And the faux suede looks just like the real deal. Especially after weathering.

For the cuffs, I used leather that were cut to shape, then I added a 8" flap that went inside the boot about 2 inches and was the same diameter as the opening of the boot. This extended the boot up to proper height, and used straps underneath the fold over to keep them in place.

Worked like a charm until I got my CABoots. I have since used Meltonian spray dye to turn them black for another outfit, so they still get used from time to time
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

http://www.thecombatcon.com

Back to top Go down

Sith Camaro.com Boot Tutorial - w/downldble pdf Empty The lost boot tutorial..

Post  liarr Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Has anyone saved the tutorial offered by SithCamaro? The website's been down for a while..I'm attempting a pair, and will upload pics soon. That tut would help, though.
liarr
liarr
Mate

http://www.captainhenryspiratestore.com

Back to top Go down

Post  capt.J.j.sparrow Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:40 pm

http://www.sithcamaro.com/boottut/index.htm

it should work if not google it! 'm looking at it right now!
capt.J.j.sparrow
capt.J.j.sparrow
Boatswain

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 am

THANKS! Too bad no pictures...

Sad 

Making the ultimate Jack Sparrow boots

This tutorial can actually be used to make any sort of tall boot. I myself have used the same tricks to create my Anakin Skywalker boots, Royal Guard boots, ect. I hope that this becomes as useful to you, and it has been to me.

Getting started:
For Jack, you need to start out with a simple pair of square toed shoes, or boots. Your best bet would be to use a pair of boots, but if you don't have any, or can't find them, shoes will do. Another helpful tip would be to use an old pair of shoes, as the soles will have already been beaten in. I recycle many of my old shoes, by converting them into costume shoes/boots.

If you are starting off with an existing pair of boots, you have an easier time creating your new shaft. Simply unstitch the shaft from the shoe, this will be your template for the new shaft. Simply trace it onto your suede, and make it about as long as your leg. The shaft should also be double thick, as the originals. Do this by simply cementing 2 pieces of suede together.

For glue, I strongly suggest that you use "Barge" rubber cement. This along will literally hold your boots together, once you are finished. If you have access to an industrial leather sewing machine, you can always opt to stitch all of the pieces together, once you are finished. Additionally, you can probably take them to your local shoe repairman, and ask them to stitch them for you.

After you've made your shaft template, create a template for both the heel, and the body of the boot. Again, simply just trace the shape of the shoe to suede. One of the easiest way of doing this, is to take some fabric, lay it onto the base of the shoe, and trace it from there. Cut that out, and fit it to the shoe. If that looks fine, then you are ready to cut that shape into the suede.

Step 1: Preparing the shoe
Begin be preparing your shoes. The best way that you'll get the suede to stick is by scraping up the surface of your shoes. This will allow the rubber cement to adhere to tiny grooves within the surface.

Step 2: Adding the heel
The first piece that you want to add, is the heel. By now, you should've already created your shoe patterns, and transferred them to the suede. It really does not matter how wide the sides of this piece is, as it will be later covered by the front piece. What does matter is the arched shape above the heel.

Simply add a layer of cement to both the inside of your suede heel, and the heel of the shoe. Remember, rubber cement is a contact glue. So let it dry a few minutes before sticking them together.

Step 3: Adding the front (or toe)
Now that your heels have been completed, now comes the fun part, adding the toe!
Again, remember to glue both sides, and dry. Once the pieces are ready, start from the top slope, and press it firmly to the toe of the shoe. Once that is down nice and tight, you can start stretching each side tightly down, one at a time. You shouldn't have to worry about any areas wrinkling up on you, as the suede has some stretch to it. The tighter you pull it across, the better it will look.

Step 4: Scoring the edges
Once you have firmly placed the suede across the toes of the shoe, it is time to work the edges. Find a blunt tool (like a flat screwdriver), and score the suede into the area between the shoe and the sole. The better you get it in there, the better it will look once you cut off the excess. Do this all the way around the shoe.

Step 5: Trimming the edges
Now that you have stuffed the suede into the cracks, you can now begin to trim off all of the extra suede.
Take your utility blade, and cut around the edges of your shoe. Do this as close the the shoe itself. Again, this will make the boot look as natural as possible, and not like a shoe with leather glued to it.

Step 6: Base shoe is now finished!
The base of the shoes are now finished! Do the same with your other shoe, and admire your work. But don't get too comfortable yet, cause now you have to take care of the shaft of the boot!

Step 7: Adding the shaft
By now you should have traced out the shape of the shaft onto your suede. Simply rubber cement the ends of the suede together. This will be the back of the shaft.
Once it is all dry, you can start by joining the bottom of the shaft to the heel of the boot. Join it to the inside of the heel (naturally).

Step 8: Adding the shaft (pt. 2)
Now you can glue the base of the shaft to the underside of the top slope, and the sides of the shoe. Same steps as before...glue both sides of each piece, and allow to dry before joining.

Step 9: Almost there...
By now, the shape of your boots should be complete. You may think you're finished, but unless you're trying to look like your average, run of the mill pirate, straight off the Halloween store shelf, you've still got some more work to do!

Step 10: Getting dirty!!
The boot on the left was just glued together. The boot on the right has gone through years of rigorous use over the high seas! Well, not exactly. But if you're going to pull off a costume that looks like it's been "lived in", then you've gotta make it appear that way!

Let's face it, pirates never went to the dry cleaners. One of my biggest peeves is to find someone that has spent countless hours working on their costume, and they forget the most important thing- weathering!

Try different approaches. Use some black shoe polish, leave them out in the elements, take a rotary tool, and scrape up all the edges (including the sole itself!) And holes, add a few small holes in the shaft, here and there. I have handled a pair of the stunt shoes, and there are holes in there. Not in the bottom, in the heel or anything, but in the shaft, right where it folds over.

Now, if you can't find a way to have the ends stitched down, do not worry. Barge is one of the strongest cements around. My first pair of Jack boots were made for Halloween, and I never stitched anything together on those. They have yet to fall apart in any way. If you can get them stitched, then more power to 'ya! And they'll look all the more authentic.

Good luck!
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  liarr Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:45 pm

a couple of us posted pictures and our own how-to's following SC's template
liarr
liarr
Mate

http://www.captainhenryspiratestore.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:25 am

Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down