The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CABoots: Is there an alternative?

+7
adenry
rockstarpirate90
BroadSword
Epic Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain McCool
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CABoots: Is there an alternative? Empty CABoots: Is there an alternative?

Post  Captain McCool Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Okay folks, I've been meaning to post this for a looooooong time, but never seemed to get around to it. Basically, after all the miserable nightmares with CABoots I have come to the conclusion that their company needs to go bankrupt. The only means I have of effecting this result is urging people not to buy from them - detailing their poor customer service, their inaccurate website, their arrogant attitude, their dishonest business practices, and of course their shoddy quality. Unfortunately, there is a problem with this: they are currently the ONLY company that makes a "screen accurate" Jack Sparrow boot (and I add the quotes, because none of the 4 pairs of boots I've received from them have EVER been exactly screen-accurate, despite their having supposedly made the boots for the films, and their protestations that - and I quote - "Johnny Depp never had a problem with HIS boots"). But I digress...

At any rate, what I'm saying is simply that we must find another company that will manufacture screen-accurate Jack Sparrow boots for a reasonable price (I figure "reasonable" is really anything below $500), or we will all continue to be swindled by these charlatans.

There has to be another company out there that will do it. I refuse to believe CABoots is the only one. I mean, sure, there are definitely boot makers out there who would do a custom order from the ground up, but most people I've seen who do that charge somewhere around a grand, give or take. Which is just ludicrous to me. So how do we do this? Where do we look? I want to make sure that this community is absolutely no longer dependent on CABoots for anything whatsoever.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

http://www.piratesofillrepute.org

Back to top Go down

CABoots: Is there an alternative? Empty Re: CABoots: Is there an alternative?

Post  Captain McCool Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Incitentally, I would consider a pair of "screen accurate boots to have the following specifications (please feel free to disagree if you feel this is not accurate):

3-piece boots (as in, one piece for the toe, one for the heel and shaft, and one for the bell at the top. This does not include lining.)

Shaft height: 18 to 21 inches, depending on the person

Toe: 2", square

Sole: brown natural leather, stitched around the edge

Heel: stacked brown leather, matching the sole. Preferably 1 5/8 inch (I prefer this very slightly taller heel, as I feel it looks more like his, but others may disagree). Gently sloped inward at the rear.

Finished rear seam - Meaning a 1/2"-or-so strip of leather stitched along either side, covering rear seam from the heel to the beginning of the bell.

Bell measuring 10 or 11 inches at front and gently sloping to 8 or 9 inches in rear. Slight rounded point at front. Bell to me made of 2 layers of leather stitched together at bottom edge. Bell to be completely stitched up the rear, with seam turned in towards the boot when bell is folded down (or alternately, with outer seam turned in towards the lining, and lining seam turned in towards the outer portion, so that no raw seam is visible). This means NO split in the rear, and NO lacing up the back.

Suede or "rough out" genuine leather material used for outside of boots (preferably of a nice, sturdy weight of leather. NOT garment weight).

Natural tan color (as in NOT brown, NOT orange, and NOT yellow, but a nice, semi-dark natural tan color. Perhaps somewhat buttery)

Last edited by Captain McCool on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:23 am

Sounds like great specs mate. Spot on! I have studied the boots considerably to say the least!!! And I agree with those specs.
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Very good to hear!

So - what do you guys think? Is there another company out there who can start giving CABoots a run for their money? I really believe it's important for the community to have an alternative available. I know I'm not the only one who has had problems with this company, but no one has ever really done anything about it because frankly they're our only choice at present. So where else can we go? Who else can produce a superior quality boot for a competitive price (and with better customer service, one should hope)?
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:56 am

I really really would like screen accurate boots!

Does anyone out there know any pro boot makers that may be keen to take on a custom job of making Jack Sparrow boots??

If they did they would of course be guaranteed continued repeat business from all of those Jack's out there. Wink

Surely someone out there would be keen to make some!
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:35 am

Several months back I was doing some searching for another custom boot maker that's out there for a possible alternative to CABoots. I came across one that was very interesting but I can't remember what the name was and haven't been able to find it again. I'll have to do some digging and see if I can come across it again. But I did find out what the "CA" stands for in CABoots... "Champion Attitude"...yea...um...I don't think I agree with that, lol.

Anyway, here's a list to start going through otherwise.

http://www.hotboots.com/manufact.html

There might be one in there that would be willing to take on the task. The thing is finding one that would keep the cost around the same price that CABoots had their custom boots at, in the $400-$500 range.
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 am

Yeah, could be a good start.

I'm fine with paying extra for a quality product! Wink
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Yeah, I've known about the "C.A." for a while. Bollocks.

Anyway, I'm really curious to know about that other possible maker! I agree that they need to be kept in a similar cost range to those from CABoots though. Like I said before, I know we could find someone who would do a one-off pair that were amazing, but they'd probably charge around $1000, which in my mind is complete lunacy. Frankly, I think $500 is too much to spend for a pair of boots, but I eventually caved to that cost because of my desire for superior screen-accuracy. Turns out the joke was on me Sad
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:42 am

Yea, $1000 or more seems to be the average for most custom boot makers. But it's really not surprising when they are all hand made. Even though the Jack Sparrow boot design is relatively simple compared to most cowboy boot designs, I think we're going to be hard pressed to find a maker that will keep the costs in the lower end. You never know though until you try though. I'm still looking for that maker I had in mind, but I'm not making any promises on their pricing, lol. I'm sure they're in the same ball park as most of the other custom boot makers.
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 am

Hmm, this might be it.... http://www.motorcowboy.com/category/200-replica.movie/

They make movie replica boots, so it might be easy to convince them to do a Jack Sparrow model, they might even add it to their product line if there's enough interest.

CABoots! You are the weakest link! Goodbye!
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Epic Jack Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:02 am

I sent an email to the motor cowboy folks...I'll let you know if they get back to me. I too would like to add pair of leather boots to my costume...but after hearing all this negativity about CABoots I'm not so sure...if I'm going to drop that much on any single item, I'd like to make sure it's sea worthy.
Epic Jack
Galley Slave

Back to top Go down

Post  BroadSword Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 am

Motorcowboy can make some really cool stuff, but I can almost gaurantee you they will be just as, if not more, expesive ast CAboots. I"m taking the plunge and going to try my hand at making a set from the SithCamaro tutorial. I have the leather....just waiting on the base boots to get here. Liarr's thread inspired me to do it.
BroadSword
BroadSword
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:14 am

Epic Jack wrote:I sent an email to the motor cowboy folks...I'll let you know if they get back to me. I too would like to add pair of leather boots to my costume...but after hearing all this negativity about CABoots I'm not so sure...if I'm going to drop that much on any single item, I'd like to make sure it's sea worthy.

If they say yes and the price is reasonable then they need to understand that our community is very specific and demanding on the exact features and measurements the boots must have or they're not going to get our business, lol. It can't be just "Hey, make me some Jack Sparrow boots" and expect them to be what we all want. McCool has had enough bad dealings with CABoots to know what IS and IS NOT a Jack Sparrow replica. We are the epitome of OCD, remember?
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Epic Jack Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 am

I made sure to mention I could get them specifics if they so desire and that we have a large community that would be eager to get a pair of accurate leather boots...so just have to wait and keep an eye on my inbox.
Epic Jack
Galley Slave

Back to top Go down

Post  Epic Jack Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 pm

So the folks at motor cowboy responded with: Hi Thanks for your enquiry. I would be glad to take a look. Can you send
me some pictures.
Thanks,
Robert

So I'll see if I can dig up some good pics of the boots as well as send him a copy of McCool's specifications
Epic Jack
Galley Slave

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Great stuff mate! Sounds promising so far! I'm excited!!! I'm prepared to pay for quality and screen accuracy! Wink Would save me going for my THIRD pair of Caboots!
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:45 pm

Epic Jack wrote:So the folks at motor cowboy responded with: Hi Thanks for your enquiry. I would be glad to take a look. Can you send
me some pictures.
Thanks,
Robert

So I'll see if I can dig up some good pics of the boots as well as send him a copy of McCool's specifications

I checked out the motor cowboy website. Looks like they sure do make some awesomely epic quality boots! I'm sure they could make some amazing Jack Sparrow boots! Cool
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:54 pm

Brilliant! Yeah, looks like the company makes some great stuff. If they would indeed make a "better" Jack Sparrow boot, we might just be in business. But it's true, they need to make sure they make them basically perfect, or we as a community are somewhat unlikely to be impressed, heh. My other primary concern is that they have honest business practices, excellent quality in their manucaturing process and materials, and good, responsive, polite customer service.
Their prices do appear to veer somewhat on the high side, but if they can make a superior boot and give better customer satisfaction all-around, it may just be worth it.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Captain McCool wrote:Brilliant! Yeah, looks like the company makes some great stuff. If they would indeed make a "better" Jack Sparrow boot, we might just be in business. But it's true, they need to make sure they make them basically perfect, or we as a community are somewhat unlikely to be impressed, heh. My other primary concern is that they have honest business practices, excellent quality in their manucaturing process and materials, and good, responsive, polite customer service.
Their prices do appear to veer somewhat on the high side, but if they can make a superior boot and give better customer satisfaction all-around, it may just be worth it.

I concur 100%! Wink
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Any further developments on this by any chance? Just outta' curiosity.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post  Epic Jack Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:55 am

I emailed Robert again a couple days ago since I hadn't heard back from him...he emailed me back saying sorry for the slow response but he's been swamped with the Halloween rush and would take a look at it and send me a quote soon.
Epic Jack
Galley Slave

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46 am

That's cool. Leastways you got a response, which is more than you can say for many companies.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post  Epic Jack Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Yup, I'll keep you updated if I hear anything back from him.
Epic Jack
Galley Slave

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Any news on this company potentially making Jack boots?
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:33 am

Aye! Any news?

I was also thinking, because of some discussion in a different thread here - there are companies out there who reproduce Clint Eastwood's spaghetti western boots, which are tan, square-toed cowboy boots with a "rough-out" finish... just like Jacks! If one of these companies would be willing to adapt their pattern slightly, it would be remarkably easy to transition from "Man with No Name" boots to Jack Sparrow boots.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next