The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOYCOTT CABOOTS!

+12
TomSparrow
Pirate Daddy
aelyn000
Sparrowed
Capt Jag
Capt'n Jack Sparrow
Jinkxed Jack
rockstarpirate90
Jodo
Mojo Turbo
Cap.cristianSparrow
Captain McCool
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BOYCOTT CABOOTS! Empty BOYCOTT CABOOTS!

Post  Captain McCool Mon May 30, 2011 12:28 am

I am absolutely apoplectic with rage at this moment. I don't even know where to begin. I am not going to write out the entire history of the nightmare that ensued after I ordered a pair of custom boots from CABoots.com just yet, but I feel it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSISSARY that I come on here and URGE all other Jack Sparrow costumers, as well as pirate enthusiasts in general, to BOYCOTT CABOOTS!!!

Eventually I will explain the entire situation in detail, and I also plan on posting copies of all the emails we have sent back and forth, but for now I will just say that I have been belittled, abused, argued with, and told that I am being unreasonable for feeling upset that this company COMPLETELY BOTCHED a pair of boots that cost me an UNGODLY sum of money. At present, I STILL do not have a wearable pair of boots from them (after over two months, and after sending the first unwearable pair back), and they have my money. Last I heard I can expect to see the final pair at the END OF JUNE. That is WELL OVER A MONTH after I was supposed to have them, which was caused by nothing more or less than a complete lack of proper communication from their company. At this time they have given me no indication that they even care, or that they will make an effort to get them to me sooner, despite my pleads, begs, and eventual threats. I have explained in great detail that I must have footwear for the summer, as I am employed at the local renaissance festival from the beginning of June through the end of July, but now it is clear I will not be receiving them until I am already halfway through the season. This is my livelyhood. What am I supposed to do? It was THEIR fault in the first place, but so far they have not shown any concern whatsoever for me, the customer, and have instead deemed it appropriate to act pretentious ("Johnny Depp never had a problem"), and condescending ("you need to understand that custom boots take time").

They have offered the WORST customer service I have EVER encountered in my ENTIRE life, and that includes the greedy, lying jerks over at http://www.piratemod.com (by the way, I don't recommend buying from them either), who had heretofore held that title.

I AM NOT the type of person who is constantly dissatisfied and makes a point of complaining about every product he buys. I'm usually pretty easy to please. I tip well at restaurants, I give good feedback on eBay, and I don't gripe when something isn't exactly perfect. But the arrogance, apathy, and vindictive nature of this company and the people who run it are such that I cannot let it stand.

Once again, I urge everyone here, DO NOT BUY FROM CABOOTS.COM!!! We, as a community, MUST find another source for these boots, because these people do not deserve to be in business any longer. Period. And I intend to do everything in my power to let everyone know that.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

http://www.piratesofillrepute.org

Back to top Go down

BOYCOTT CABOOTS! Empty Re: BOYCOTT CABOOTS!

Post  Cap.cristianSparrow Mon May 30, 2011 3:38 am

well you got me support. I was thinking to get a the boots from them, but for me 2 things keep me away
1.- they DONT make the exact boots . I have NEVER ever seen a exact replica .. close but not the same. ( and me way to do this is NEED TO BE THE SAME.!)
so thats way i never bought anything from them.

2.- am not a HIre jack im not doing this for money... so i dont need to wear the boots a lot .. just sometimes.. so why im gonna expend $500 for something im not gonna use..
I made me boots and i made them realloy close to the originals.. so im happy with them.

i was aware of this problem since few years already. poor costumer service and a lot of Mistakes with the orders.. i think i know just 1 sparrow in this community who has nice boots an never had a problem with them.... JUST ONE !

thanks to this post.

all the best McCool
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Cap.cristianSparrow
Cap.cristianSparrow
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

https://www.facebook.com/groups/121361184599719/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Mon May 30, 2011 9:53 am

I didn't have a "great" experience with them either....but they make the boots Jack actually wears.....so
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jodo Mon May 30, 2011 11:21 am

I got my boots second hand...But that was also always my aim, as I know others have had difficulty with them in the past. Neutral
Jodo
Jodo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Mon May 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Well folks, I've slept on it... and I have to admit that my original message here is probably much more angry and vehement than it ought to be. The truth is, I HAVE had a lot of problems with CABoots. MOST of those problems have been the fault of CABoots, without a doubt. However, there have also been problems that I myself have caused, and I am deeply regretful for those, as they made the whole process that much more difficult. My primary mistake was ordering the wrong toe in the first place. Now I'm stuck with that toe, not only because I ordered it to begin with, but because I continued to insist on it as time went on. At this point I wish I had just let them put the "pirate" toe on the things, because it would have been closer in shape to Depp's actual boots (I don't believe that's the toe he actually had on his boots, at least not in all scenes, despite their protestations), and it might have meant I would be getting the boots sooner. I also realized that I had ordered the boots slightly too small to begin with, so I asked if they would make the boots larger when they redid them.

The thing that I'm still not sure if I did the right thing about or not is insisting that they make a brand new pair of boots, from scratch. The primary defect with these boots, mind you, was that they made the calf OVER AN INCH TOO SMALL in circumference. I gave them a 15 inch calf measurement. Then I called them and asked how much they added on to that measurement. They told me 1.5 inches. I asked if they could add only 1 inch instead. They said no problem. But when the boots arrived they measured exactly 14 INCHES inside. A FULL INCH UNDER the measurement I sent them, and a full TWO inches under what they were supposed to make them. I literally spent 15 minutes trying to get the boots on, at which time they cut off my circulation, so I spent another 15 minutes trying to get them off again. This alone was enough to make me want a new pair of boots.

Unfortunately, this was not the only thing wrong. Firstly, there was a distinct wrinkle in one of the toes. Also, I did NOT like the color of the original boots (they looked more like the "rust" color shown on their website than the "natural tan"), they did NOT have the correctly finished seam up the back like Jack's have (the woman has tried multiple times to tell me how Johnny Depp wore several different boots in the films - which I'm already well aware of - but what she doesn't realize is that I've studied screen captures for more time than is honestly healthy, and not ONE of them shows a plain seam up the back of the boot, without the leather strip over the top to finish it), and the leather they used for the outer shell of the boot, as well as the cuff was PITIFULLY thin. We're talking garment weight leather. I could've lived with the color, on its own. We all know how different the boots look after weathering. And I might have even lived with the awful, papery leather. Maybe even the seam too. But all of these things together were too much for me.

So what they wanted to do was to take the boots they had already sent me, stretch the snot out of them so they were the right size, smooth out the wrinkle in the toe, and call it good. Based on all of what I've just posted, would YOU have wanted these frankenboots? I would NOT have gotten the color I wanted, I would NOT have gotten the seam I wanted, and they would have had to stretch the top of the boots (which, as previously mentioned, were already made of frighteningly thin material) a full TWO INCHES in circumference! I had horrible visions of them coming back with clamp marks all over them, wrinkly leather from all the stretching, being even MORE paper-thin, etc. etc.

So I requested a brand new pair of boots. And THIS is where my troubles really began. First they told me they could do them in their Mexico factory, which makes the stock boots. I've had 2 pairs of the stock boots now (both slightly different), and ironically both of these pairs have been of a better quality, and a more accurate design than the ones I got custom, for twice the price, from their workshop in the USA. They said if I got them from Mexico I could get the seam I wanted, a closer color to what I wanted, and perhaps a better weight of leather (or so they seemed to imply. I'll believe it when I see it). So I went with that.

But my SECOND mistake was that I told them I regretted ordering the 1.5 inch toe, and that I would like the 2 inch toe instead. This caused much hemming and hawing, and I was told they never change details like this on an order if they have to re-do it, as a matter of policy, but they would try to get that done for me. They also said not to worry about putting the old boots in the mail back to them immediately if they were just going to make a brand new pair, because they could start on those immediately, but to send the other ones back as soon as I could so they could put them up for sale as factory-flawed closeouts. Well, I went out of town for a few days, and couldn't get to the post office for a few more, until I finally got a frantic email and TWO frantic phone calls from them asking where the heck the boots were, because they needed them in order to stretch them, so I could have them back by May 19th (my SECOND deadline). This got a big "WTF?" from me, since I THOUGHT we had agreed to make a new custom pair out of their factory in Mexico, and NOT to modify the existing pair, for all the reasons mentioned. ONLY THEN did they inform me that they can't do the ones from Mexico with the toe I wanted, so they were just going to modify my old ones after all. At which point I did another "WTF?" because they had apparently made this decision without informing me or asking me what I wanted since the Mexico factory couldn't do the toe I wanted.

FINALLY we worked it out that I wanted the boots from Mexico, as long as they had ALL my specifications correct and I was NOT getting a stock pair of boots. I settled for the 1.5 inch toe again (even though now, as previously mentioned, I truly wish I'd just told them to put the "pirate" toe on), and they asked, "do you really, really, really need these by the 19th? Because we don't think we can really do that at this point." This I think was something like the 12th of May. So we said, "no, just get them done and make sure they're right." Then, about a week ago I sent them an email asking when I might actually expect the boots, since I hadn't heard anything, at which time I was curtly informed that, because I needed custom work done, I wouldn't be getting them til the END OF JUNE.

So I went ballistic. I threatened to complain to the BBB, and DEMANDED that the boots be done by no later than June 10th, as I HAVE TO WEAR THEM THE NEXT DAY. They responded with angry retorts about how they will not be threatened, and how I need to stay professional in my correspondences to them (though I'm fairly sure I never swore, I only told them how I felt in no uncertain terms), but they NEVER addressed getting the boots to me on time. And since then we have basically been going back and forth on it - me angrily making demands, and them snidely ignoring them.

So there you have it. That's pretty much the whole story, minus a few somewhat trivial details. I hope you will take it into consideration if you ever think you want to order from them in the future.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

http://www.piratesofillrepute.org

Back to top Go down

Post  rockstarpirate90 Mon May 30, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm not going to order from them that's for sure
rockstarpirate90
rockstarpirate90
Landlubber

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Tue May 31, 2011 9:19 pm

I followed a lot of your progression (or digression if you want) of your Caboots troubles over on the "other" forum and it saddens me how many have had bad experiences with them. It almost makes me want to go into the business of making Jack boots, but holy hannah it's a lot of time, effort, money, tools and not to mention education to be able to do something like that. At least at the quality level I would attempt them at. Would be nice to find some other boot manufacturer that can make something that is screen accurate.
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt'n Jack Sparrow Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:47 am

Glad I got mine in the early days.
Capt'n Jack Sparrow
Capt'n Jack Sparrow
Eunuch
Eunuch

http://www.captnjacksparrow.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:59 am

I am sorry to hear you've had such problems... I orderd the stock tan boots a few years ago, and had no problems with customer service. They arrived promptly, they were what I ordered and they have been awesome since. Not 100% screen accurate (lacking the square toe and the bell is somewhat different) but they look close enough for me and most people don't even notice. Besides, I use them for other outfits as well (such as my musketeer kit) so I've been really happy with them. I also love the soles since I do a lot of swordfighting and stunts in them.
ghost stories ghost stories duel duel
And they were roomy enough when I got them (ordered same as my regular shoe size) that I can wear cushion insoles (nice when you're wearing them all day). cheers cheers cheers

But I have heard of people having issues when placing a custom order, which is a shame since they are one of the few places that offer that option... THAt seems to be the problem area for most people. It seems they need to improve their custom order process.

A shame you've had such a hard time with them...

"My sympathies, friend...you've no manner of luck at all..." Smile
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

http://www.thecombatcon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowed Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:43 am

Sorry to hear of your troubles CMcC.
I recently inquired about a pair of JS boots and this was their reply:

re: JackSparrowboot for lady
Yes we do.

You have to order the custom version.

You should order a mens 6D

Thank you,
Joey
www.caboots.com

Custom? I shall heed your warning!
Sparrowed
Sparrowed
Strumpet
Strumpet

Location : At some sort of high toned and fancy to do up at the Fort

http://pinterest.com/sparrowedx/

Back to top Go down

Post  aelyn000 Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:30 am

I think they probably suggested custom 'cause the stock version are most likely generally too tall/wide on the calf for a lady. Depending on the size of the wearer, you probably could just order stock but then you'd be screwed if they were too large on the leg and you had to go through the return process... so in regards to ordering custom for a lady... seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. =\ Which REALLY sucks.
aelyn000
aelyn000
Strumpet
Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 am

aelyn000 wrote:I think they probably suggested custom 'cause the stock version are most likely generally too tall/wide on the calf for a lady. Depending on the size of the wearer, you probably could just order stock but then you'd be screwed if they were too large on the leg and you had to go through the return process... so in regards to ordering custom for a lady... seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. =\ Which REALLY sucks.

Good point about the fit in the legs. I've got pretty large calves compared to shoe size (a benifit of 36 years of kicking folk in the head I guess Twisted Evil ) and they are still a little loose - I use a strap to prevent boot slouch that I fasten just above the calf muscle outside the boot underneath the bell. Luckily there isn't a TON of room so there's not a lot of bunching up. However, if you've got skinny legs, they might be really big and using a strap might make them bunch up and pucker a lot...

But you could also devise an in-boot strap system with a strap that goes around your calf just below the knee on the inside of the boot which might be easier and keep the top from bunching up too much.

Last edited by Capt Jag on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowed Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:36 am

Well as most females will agree ( sorry for generalizing)
a heel is always nice on any boot. So I would have had a custom heel, not stiletto or anything like that, just a slightly higher stacked heel.
But... I think, I will... pass ....on the custom work. Sad
Sparrowed
Sparrowed
Strumpet
Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:39 am

If memory serves you did have heel option even on the "stock" boot... (runs over to CABoots.com to check...)
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:40 am

Memory doesn't, in fact, serve... Actually memory is totally and maddeningly less then helpful... Suspect
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowed Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:53 am

^^ then the proposals arrrr still on?

Laughing
Sparrowed
Sparrowed
Strumpet
Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:59 am

Sparrowed wrote:^^ then the proposals arrrr still on?
Laughing

Huh, what proposals...(scratches head while staring blankly)...

Razz Razz Razz
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  aelyn000 Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:15 am

Sparrowed wrote:Well as most females will agree ( sorry for generalizing)
a heel is always nice on any boot. So I would have had a custom heel, not stiletto or anything like that, just a slightly higher stacked heel.
But... I think, I will... pass ....on the custom work. Sad

Ah, I hear you. I am definitely a heels girl too. Laughing I almost went with heels on my Angelica but the boots I got were just too close to perfect and I sold them at work so I got to wear them at work...and .. yeah. Just more convenient instead of having an extra pair ONLY for costuming. That would be a mighty fine pirate boot you have in mind ( the Jack with a higher heel ).
aelyn000
aelyn000
Strumpet
Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowed Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:31 am

The boots I wanted for my strumpet Jack are sold out in brown...so I went with a black ( cuz they are great looking boots) but I did find another pair, not quite as nice but kinda Jackish. (I'll post a pic in the strumpet costume thread)
But regarding caboots, I foolishly figured possibly pursuing a full on OST jack costume...that's why I was talking lady sparrow boots. Wink
Sparrowed
Sparrowed
Strumpet
Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:24 pm

A decent pair of boots could be made by converting an existing pair. A pair of high suede lady's boots off ebay, some extra suede to make the bells, and your done. Pick up some Nu Life spray dye (specially formulated for footwear) and go to town. With some weathering it won't matter if the suede matches perfectly.

Nu Life is my new favorite weathering agent - easy, a ton of availalbe shades, and readily available...
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Sparrowed wrote:^^ then the proposals arrrr still on?

Laughing

Hey, waitaminute.... Does that mean you accept? Because, after all, I am a Captain, and as Captain I can perform a marriage right here...right...now... What a Face Girl Skull

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Pirate Daddy Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:06 pm

McC, I'm feeling your frustrations, mate. For the price they ask for custom boots, there's no excuse for dissatisfaction, or at the very least, poor customer service!

I'm pleased with my A1's, but the delivery was pretty slow, and each time I called, they would tell me "they're shipping from Mexico this week". This happened for 3 consecutive weeks. I get the sense they're just not very organized.

What are you using for stand-ins until the new boots arrive?

Pirate Daddy
Pirate Daddy
Bad Egg

Back to top Go down

Post  rockstarpirate90 Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Did someone mentioned The Pirate Empire?

I ordered them yesterday 305 shipped and as a gift you get a undead monkey:P
He said that he will have them shipped in 10-12 days so NOT months like CAboots..

Cheers!
rockstarpirate90
rockstarpirate90
Landlubber

Back to top Go down

Post  Cap.cristianSparrow Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Cap.cristianSparrow
Cap.cristianSparrow
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

https://www.facebook.com/groups/121361184599719/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next