The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dying wigs to make them more blonde?

5 posters

Go down

Dying wigs to make them more blonde? Empty Dying wigs to make them more blonde?

Post  ocsparrow Tue May 17, 2011 3:21 pm

hello all!

i have a human blend wig and i was wondering if anyone had any experience dying their wigs? i'm just trying to make the parts that are more of a strawberry blonde into a more blonde all over color.

thanks for your help!
ocsparrow
ocsparrow
Harbour Hog

Back to top Go down

Dying wigs to make them more blonde? Empty Re: Dying wigs to make them more blonde?

Post  Mojo Turbo Tue May 17, 2011 3:56 pm

I guess it would first matter what your wig was made from?
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Dying wigs to make them more blonde? Empty Re: Dying wigs to make them more blonde?

Post  ocsparrow Tue May 17, 2011 4:02 pm

just looked it up.."50% human hair 50% kanekalon heat resistant fibers"
ocsparrow
ocsparrow
Harbour Hog

Back to top Go down

Post  liarr Tue May 17, 2011 4:03 pm

dying to make something more light is impossible. What you, sir, are talking about, is bleaching. There are many tutorials online for bleaching hair, but I would suggest enlisting the aid of a hairstylist to help you on your journey.
liarr
liarr
Mate

http://www.captainhenryspiratestore.com

Back to top Go down

Post  liarr Tue May 17, 2011 4:04 pm

ocsparrow wrote:just looked it up.."50% human hair 50% kanekalon heat resistant fibers"

I don't think kanekalon is recolourable. Human hair, yes. But Kanekalon is plastic..and I'm assuming it's a predetermined color and not dyed, cause..its plastic. I don't think bleach will affect plastic though.
liarr
liarr
Mate

http://www.captainhenryspiratestore.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Tue May 17, 2011 4:28 pm

The strawberry blond pieces are the Kanekalon and the rest is human hair. I know because I believe I have the same wig and nothing could be done with the strawberry blonde except make it darker. You really cannot lighten Kanekalon hair because it is like spun plastic. The color is set into the strands and the strands are the consistency of fishing line.

To add color to Kanekalon hair you have to use rit dye or alcohol and Sharpie pen ink. That is the only way to get color into Kanekalon. I have had zero success with Rit Dye and the alcohol and Sharpie pen ink does't work too well with lighter colors.

This is why I just broke down and bought a 100% human hair wig.
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Cap.cristianSparrow Tue May 17, 2011 4:29 pm

liarr wrote:dying to make something more light is impossible. What you, sir, are talking about, is bleaching. There are many tutorials online for bleaching hair, but I would suggest enlisting the aid of a hairstylist to help you on your journey.

thats your answer. sir. well said.
but only human hair.

what i did with mine was Blonde and dye the color i need.. cos the another way is a pain in the ..
Cap.cristianSparrow
Cap.cristianSparrow
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

https://www.facebook.com/groups/121361184599719/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Tue May 17, 2011 5:18 pm

You can always buy lighter color hair and add to it...
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Tue May 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Although I have tried a new technique of spray painting the dreads (no not with real paint). I used Nu Life which is an aeresol form of leather dye. I used it on my boots and to weather down my other clothing parts. It comes in about 25 shades from white all the way to black. Many shades of earth tones.

I made my dreadlock in light blond and sprayed 1/2 with the Nu Life medium brown. The blended are was just lighter dusting of the dye. When it dried it turned the dread crunchy but it was somewhat permanent. Worked well. Up close your really cannot tell if the dread is true color or sprayed on color.
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down