The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins

4 posters

Go down

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins  Empty MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins

Post  Captain Matt Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Ahoy mates!

I will post the details regarding each treasure of the past week to week an a half in their perspective categories here in the Court (some just arrived last night and others are set to be here in a couple days).  I had so many things happen this week that some of them will not be posted until later in the next week as a great deal of my time is also being consumed as I have begun work on a spectacular and fangtastic production of Bram Stokers Dracula.  This is my second year having the opportunity to play the iconic dweller of the night, and I am ridiculously excited about this years production - however, even in the midst of taking on and living Dracula, Jack is with me - intently, and I am perfectly fine with that!

I have to say that the last week and half (as in weeks past) has been literally consumed by all things Jack- morning...noon...& night!  Needless to say, as many of you fellow sea dogs can relate, the quest to commandeer the necessary treasures to prepare Jack to set sail on his many journeys' aboard to Pearl can be all consuming indeed!  That is not to say that there is anything wrong with those fellows that make the decision to commandeer a complete "off the rack" costume or something that is pre-fabricated for the most part or major pieces that are; however and for better or worse, I chose a different course.  It all began when was able to find and plunder the last 62 Yards of  uncut Ebony 903 available to the public - that set me down a course that I honestly was not planning on in the beginning.  I had always planned on designing and creating my own custom Jack wardrobe with the support of Donna (my seamstress), and I was prepared for what I knew would be a lengthy trek, however, I was not prepared for the absolute passion, drive, and absorbed nature of said pursuit once the screen accurate bug hit me when I saw the Ebony 903. There is no turning back now, and my OCD level of attention to detail combined with my perfectionist mindset and my love for character related wardrobes, has created a monster the likes of which the Kraken herself would be wise to avoid.  LOL - however, I digress!

Without further delay - back to the last week of adventure -

As some of you may be aware, there is a gent that has posted some pretty informative things on the forums in the past "Captain Jack Savvy" and as I was searching around for the various coins that I needed for my wig, I saw his post on ebay regarding said décor! The set he offered looked pretty stellar and I took a shot over the bow in order to test her wherewithal and despite a couple issues and it taking a month for me to get it - I am pretty pleased with the package.  

Here is are a couple overall shots of said package:

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins  Captma85

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins  Captma86

A few individual shots with questions/comments:

1. My main disappointment is the cheap nature and overall quality of the Sea Coin.  It is simply horrid in my opinion - this is nothing again it's sender, as I am quite confident that this is most likely a common example on the market.  Needless to say, I will be doing what I can with this plastic communion wafer to make it appear more metal and SA and eventually search for a metal alternative or cast my own! See Close up below!  

*Please, if you know of a reliable source for a metal screen accurate Sea Coin, or have experience making them yourself, I would be interested in negotiating a purchase, or gaining wisdom in making my own!*

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins  Captma87

2.  I was confused as some of them came glued together.  Is this common?

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins  Captma91

3.  One of the glued sets of coins has this coin and it is not one that I recognized from any of the reference photos - I have yet to do any research on the coin specifically, if anyone has any reference that would be awesome.

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins  Captma89

4. The set of 3 Chinese "Good Luck" are not all the same and are offered at the sellers personal liking and interest.  There cool, however, to be as SA as possible is it best to go with the same 3 small traditional coins?

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins  Captma90

Enjoy the start to the new week of opportunities and challenges!  I know I am excited and I look forward to getting more updates posted!

Last edited by Captain Matt on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Error in my Title)
Captain Matt
Captain Matt
Ballast Pig

http://www.mattwigginsentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins  Empty Re: MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins

Post  Cap.cristianSparrow Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:29 am

AWE wig has just 12 coins.
and from what i see on your pictures you can only use 7 of them.
Cap.cristianSparrow
Cap.cristianSparrow
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

https://www.facebook.com/groups/121361184599719/

Back to top Go down

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins  Empty Re: MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Coins

Post  Captain Matt Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Thank you for the info! Seeing as I will be designing my wig between the DMC and AWE leaning more towards the AWE version - which 7 work in your thoughts?

Also - do you happen to know any good resource for a more screen accurate Sea Coin?
Captain Matt
Captain Matt
Ballast Pig

http://www.mattwigginsentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:23 am

Hey mate! I appreciate your kind comments however if you have any problems with my stuff just let me know rather than airing them out to the universe.

Since I have moved on from Captain Jack Sparrow I am not as offended as I would have been if this were 3-4 years ago.  In my defense I have been selling the same set and the same sea coin for well over 4 years now.  Last count through my receipts make that over 75 sets through eBay and direct sales.  And you are the third person that is not very happy with the set.

My set has gone through a tremendous evolution since 2006.  Most of what you see in my set has been collected through hours of pawning over digital screen grabs coming from movie trailers..........long before Blu Ray was released.  Some coins I found by accident and others were found intentionally.  I have substituted coins for the "as close as possible" ones because I for one do not have access to the real movie versions.  If you can find these recasts I'd say buy them.  My sea coin has been the same mold that I have used for over four years as well.  As a matter of fact I retired my original mold about a month ago and made a new 6 piece mold.  These are cold cast using brass powder and I can tell you the brass powder is not cheap ($100.00 for 5 pound container about 1 1/2 cups)  I try not to be cheap with the brass powder.

My goal with my sets are light weight.  I have had my CotBP and DMC wigs with all metal parts and it is heavy.  So I have substituted many of the metal pieces with lightweight "brass" colored charms and cast all hard to find items in resin.  Comfort is what I strive for in my wig and costume and if I can make it a lighter weight I do.  As far as glued pieces...YES! When I first made these kits I didn't add a drop of glue to the charms and coins and the complaints started rolling in of people losing them or getting them snagged on dreads, pulling them apart, detaching...etc., etc., etc!  The stories go on.  So a little drop of Kragl really helps!

And finally if you are not happy with the product I can offer you a FULL refund as long as all the parts are in the same condition upon which you received them.

BTW the coins that are the most accurate are VN Balboa, the two scallop coins, the two sets of Burmese pya coins (which I claim to have discovered a great source but will never divulge), my sea coin and that is a matter of opinion, "Harmony" brass charm ontop of the silver coin, and two of the Chinese charms for the ponytail (but if you can show me a screengrab of said coins without a source to the real items go for it). I do possess some casts of the real movie coins however I will never recast them because of a promise I made to a friend almost 7 years ago.
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksadventures Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:35 am

Hey mate stuffs looking great ! If your doing a hybrid that's what I did ultimately it comes down to what you want it to look like. There is no ultimate this is jack sparrow look it's different scene to scene. And I'm sure will be different in the next film. If you want to put all the coins in you can it's your wig Smile keep up the good work
jacksadventures
jacksadventures
I'm On A Boat!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down