The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to get high-quality beard and mustache sets?

4 posters

Go down

Where to get high-quality beard and mustache sets? Empty Where to get high-quality beard and mustache sets?

Post  RobbW Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:26 am

I read all over the place that Chris/Ms. Mazie is THE vendor for mustache and beard sets. However, he currently is not selling anything on his eBay store. So, what's the next go-to vendor for quality facial hair? On the wiki, Costumes of Nashua is one of the first commercial/retail vendors listed. I'm thinking of going this direction. However, the beard and mustache parts that are recommended would need to be properly trimmed to fit and look like Jack's. I'm not too confident in my fake beard/mustache trimming and styling. Has anyone else bought/used pieces from Costumes of Nashua? How is the quality? How durable are they? I want to be able to apply and reapply these many times.

Also, I'm thinking of going with Capt Jack Savvy's beard braid/bead set to use with the above mustache and beard. Anyone have any pointers on attaching the beard braids permanently to the beard prosthesis to make one complete unit? I'm hoping the colors will match well enough.
RobbW
RobbW
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Where to get high-quality beard and mustache sets? Empty Re: Where to get high-quality beard and mustache sets?

Post  Mojo Turbo Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:50 am

so you have no facial hair? Yea, most of us grow a goatee and then put the braids in. I used to wear a full fake set - but it makes it so hard to eat, smile and drink and you're always worried it will fall off - and then when it DOES fall off, you look weird.

Laughing 

Send Mazie a PM through ebay and see what he says - can't hurt. He's a nice guy
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Where to get high-quality beard and mustache sets? Empty Re: Where to get high-quality beard and mustache sets?

Post  RobbW Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks, Mojo!  (Are you aka Undead Monkey?)  I already placed my order for the set from Costumes of Nashua.  I'm a bit impatient.  Mental condition, ya know?!  Anyway, if the set I ordered does not look good or does not work out for some reason, I will definitely get in touch with Chris on eBay.  I was just about to order the beard braids from Capt Jack Savvy when I was distracted by a notification that someone replied to this here post.  So, once I finish posting this, I will complete my order.

I'm trying to grow me own facial hair, but I don't know how it is going to work out.  I've never grown out my facial hair before this past Halloween.  Always a clean-shaven kind of guy.  For this past Halloween, I tried growing it out but started way too late.  I ended up having to blend faux hair in with my own.  And, boy, was that a PITA to get out!  I ended up having to shave it all off as I couldn't get the spirit gum out of my real hair for the life of me.  The other consideration is that my wife isn't so keen on the facial hair.  She says she's trying to get used to it, but I can tell it freaks her out/disgusts her when she kisses me.  So, if the choice comes down to having real facial hair for my CJS costume or maintaining pleasurable marital relations with my wife, well... I ain't sleeping with the lot of you Jacks, right?!  So, that's the other (and main) reason I want to get a high-quality, reusable prosthesis.

I also ordered the Telesis 5 silicone adhesive and matte lace adhesive this morning, along with the Top Guard and Super Solv remover.  Now on to the beard braids!
RobbW
RobbW
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  RobbW Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 am

Beard braids with beads ordered! As far as attaching the beard braids to the beard prosthesis, any advice on the best method? Would I use the Telesis 5 silicone adhesive to glue them in? Would that be permanent enough? Hot glue? Is that even possible? Or should I sew the wefts into the beard lace somehow? Also, can anyone tell me how strong/durable beard/mustache laces are, in general? Should I try to reinforce them somehow if I want to reuse them for a long time?
RobbW
RobbW
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm

OI! Oi! Oi! I am the Undead Monkey you speak of...................and Capn-Jack-Savvy on the Bay! Name change in order to match up the company name and all you know.

I sent you a VERY long message on eBay regarding adhesives so I hope that helps. I saw your set you ordered off of Costumes of Nashua and have to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You want to go with human hair mate. I use human hair prosthesis. Or you can use crepe wool and follow this video which is from a very famous and well known make up artist!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=netR7rr0XJs

AS far as the lace back stuff you got to pay or quality. I think the Costumes of Nashua ones have the sticker based adhesive on the back. You need lace back pieces.

Check out this website. This is the type you need. You may have to do some trimming but at least from the three point beard you can create your soul patch.

http://www.maxwigs.com/facial-hair-c373/

Charles aka Wediznutt aka Undead Monkey aka Capn_jack_savvy aka all around nice guy!!!Laughing 
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  RobbW Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Aw, man.  Son of a...

Guess that's what I get for being impatient.  I was just going by the recommendations on the wiki.  Up at the top under "Fabricating a Beard and Mustache", it is the very first listing for where you can buy a beard and mustache to modify.  Ms. Mazie (Chris) didn't have anything for sale.  So, I went with Costumes of Nashua.

I guess I can PM Chris and see if he'd be willing to whip something up.  Though, his beard includes the beard braids built in, and I already bought beard braids from you, Capt Jack Savvy!  Has Chris been know to make the beard and mustache without the braids?  Otherwise, I could just order the human hair versions of the 3-point goatee and walrus mustache from Max Wigs.  I have a question about lace-backed prosthesis, though.  Does the lace show through and is as obvious as shown in this image from the Max Wigs site?  Because that just doesn't look very good.

Where to get high-quality beard and mustache sets? LA-3POINT_240_300_1
RobbW
RobbW
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:56 pm

With the three point goatee I would go with the long version. Now you can trim it up to the length on your face. Custom made stuff is sometimes difficult to get right meaning everyone's face is differently shaped and length and size. Someone that makes something for you may need to be adjusted including my braids because the length I make is standard.

Also after applying on the lace beard you can do a light application of the trimmed hair to cover up some of the lace that is still showing through. Use the Stan Winston method.
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:25 pm

yes yes to Undead Monkey you listen!
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 pm

That's Captain Jack Savvy, savvy?
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Where to get high-quality beard and mustache sets? Empty Attaching mesh beard/mustache to silicone prosthetic?

Post  RobbW Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:49 am

Okay, so I've been reading up and watching videos on attaching lace beards and mustaches.  One common theme I have seen is that after attaching a lace mustache/beard, you have to go back and add a little extra hair around the edges to hide the mesh and blend it all in.  I'd like to know if there is a method that would allow you to bypass this step each time you get Jacked up?  Here's what I'm wondering:

If you have a quality hair piece that you plan to reuse, can you attach it to a silicone prosthetic that you can then attach to your face?  The hard work for this would all be done upfront and only one time, I would hope.  I'm thinking I could get whatever supplies I would need to cut, shape, and form a skin-toned silicone prosthetic for my upper lip.  Then, apply the prosthetic to my lip using Telesis 5 or whatever is recommended.  Once that is done, then I would use Telesis 5 (or a more permanent adhesive if available) to apply the mustache to the prosthetic.  After that, I would take all the time in the world to fill the edges in with extra hair and blend it all in so the mesh was properly hidden.  After that, trim the mustache to its correct shape and perform any final adjustments until it looks proper to my eye.  Once everything is fully set and dry, carefully remove the entire prosthetic with an adhesive remover, clean the silicone, and let it dry.

Now, whenever I want to get Jacked up, I only have to worry about gluing the prosthetic to my face and not the time-consuming task of blending in the hair.  Of course, you'd still have to blend the sides of the prosthetic into your skin, but hey, you're going to be putting on makeup anyway.  I think it would be quicker and easier to blend skin-tone silicone in with makeup than trying to blend hair and creating a sticky mess.  Of course, this whole process would be repeated for the beard, too.

So... thoughts?  Would this work?  Or am I over-complicating something that most of you don't consider that big of an issue in the first place?
RobbW
RobbW
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Banditxx1 Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:18 am

I ´m searching that Ms.Mazie-beard, too.

Are there any alternative sources for that kind of quality and screen-accuracy?

Need a new moustache and beard set with the complete beads etc. ...

Greetings
Banditxx1
Banditxx1
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down