The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress)

+2
Mojo Turbo
FleetStreetNightmare
6 posters

Go down

Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) Empty Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress)

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:00 am

So this is my first try at Jack Sparrow. Now, I am relatively new to this, only been into the Jack "world" for around 6 months and have been looking at the costuming Wiki a lot and reading tons of posts on here and talking to other people on Facebook. Now, I am a bit nervous to post pictures of my Jack costume here. Seeing that all of you seem to know every single detail on his costume, makes me think that you guys will find tons of inaccuracies on mine and it will turn out that I have been doing this all wrong. No

Anyways, I *think* that my costume is coming along fairly well, but then again that may be because I am inexperienced. I was going for On Stranger Tides originally but some things got in the way and now I'm going for a more DMC/AWE look. I will say that as far as inaccuracies go, I am aware that my sash is closer to COTBP, and my wrist wrap and Anna Maria belt are for OST, cuffs on my shirt are wrong (kind of a long story on that one), my pants are brown.... but I'm honestly not entirely sure what color they really are and they show up brown in a lot of the DMC/AWE promo photos, so I just went with that. I am hoping that the people at the conventions (which is what I am using this costume for), will not notice these inaccuracies. Oh, and the extra length on my Anna Maria belt is too long (I should have doubled that over but didn't think about it at the time of taking the picture).
Also, I am aware that I don't look like Johnny Depp.... unfortunately that can't really be changed. lol

So below are a couple photos of what I have so far. I am working on the wig still, and waiting on boots to come in the mail for me to modify. Also waiting on my baldric, fertility charm, and chicken foot. Probably will not have the tricorn and frock coat until I update to On Stranger Tides for October, or until April of next year (things are very slow moving for me because of tight budget)

Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) Photo-11-1
Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) Photo-13-1

Vest is a modified costumebase one that I bought off eBay (pre owned and already altered)
Belts are from ACME Brand
rings are from Master Replicas
Wrist wrap is from eBay
Shirt from eBay (Super-Panda-Jack)- going to update to Pauliepoos for a convention in October hopefully
Pants are from a thrift store, and are nowhere near SA, but they work for now
Pelts from Tyrannical Piratical
Sash from Top Notch costumes/Silhouettes Clothing co.

I still have lots to do on this costume (such as weathering, and modifications, updates etc), but I'm just checking my progress now before I do anything else.
So any feedback will be greatly appreciated! Please be kind. lol I'm new to this and feel sort of lost-ish/overwhelmed.
Also sorry for the long post, I just felt like I should explain myself.
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) Empty Re: Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress)

Post  Mojo Turbo Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:57 am

everything looks great~!
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McAnen Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Not bad. Not bad at all. Smile
Captain McAnen
Captain McAnen
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks Mojo!

Thank you Captain McAnen! How's your Jack Sparrow costume coming along?
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McAnen Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Slowly but surely. Got my sash from Empire-Worldwide this week, Captain McCool is in the process of making my Anna Maria belt, and I ordered a wrist wrap from Yordreem Creations today. I've got 12 items so far, and about 25 still to go. Before summer is over I will probably add a palm glove, the manky pelts, and the mermaid charm, and depending on how things go money-wise I hope to add the waistcoat and wig before the end of the year.

Now I just need to get busy and start trimming back down to Jack Sparrow size so that all this stuff will fit right. Most people put on winter weight, but I tend to put on summer weight. Embarassed
Captain McAnen
Captain McAnen
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Oh sounds great! How is the sash? I am thinking of ordering one before Otakon (gotta replace my COTBP sash... it bothers me).
But yea, I know how that is. I used the checklist from the costuming wiki, and I would check off items as I got them, I felt so accomplished after I got another piece to the costume. lol Jack just has so many things, I will definitely be printing out another checklist and using it as I pack for the conventions I go to.

I honestly basically got most of my costume items within the last month. I received some extra money from my job (I groom dogs, and my customers paid me extra because of high school graduation), and of course, that all went straight to my costume. So I kinda just went on a Jack shopping spree and ordered all this stuff at once. It was pretty funny, every other day for about a week, I would get something in the mail. It was like Christmas!

Which version of Jack are you going for?

haha well that's understandable, with all of this crazy heat it's so tempting to just stay inside, where the air conditioning is. I probably could lose a few pounds as well (trust me, the angles in these photos makes me look thinner than I actually am).

Oh and can you link me to your blog? I can't find your posts on here or KTTC.
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Cap.cristianSparrow Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:14 am

looking good so far. keep going.!
Cap.cristianSparrow
Cap.cristianSparrow
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

https://www.facebook.com/groups/121361184599719/

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McAnen Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:57 am

I'm actually quite pleased with the sash. I gave it a tea-dye bath to dingy it up a bit and it looks pretty good. Didn't do any cutting or ripping on it yet though.

I know what you mean about it feeling like Christmas when this stuff shows up in the mail. When I was putting together my Captain McAnen costume last year I had something showing up every week or two and I called them my "presents". With Captain Jack I decided I would limit myself to one item per month this year so as not to go too crazy buying stuff and I was doing good, but this month I got a couple of extra items. It is definitely an exciting thing each time you add a new piece.

I'm going for a DMC/AWE look. Initially I wasn't a big fan of the OST look, but it has started to grow on me so I may do an OST version eventually.

Here's the link to the blog:
http://becomingjacksparrow.wordpress.com/
I should have a new post up very soon. Just waiting for my Anna Maria belt to arrive.

You're off to a great start with your costume, so keep us up to date with your progress!
Captain McAnen
Captain McAnen
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Cap.cristianSparrow Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:58 am

that blog is really good !
Cap.cristianSparrow
Cap.cristianSparrow
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

https://www.facebook.com/groups/121361184599719/

Back to top Go down

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Cap.cristianSparrow- Thank you!

Well that's good. I'm probably going to order the sash sometime this week. How long did it take you to get it? I still have to do the ripping on my existing sash. I think I'll use that sash as an experimental one.

That's a good idea. I should have done that too, then maybe I wouldn't be so broke. lol But I kinda needed to rush this a bit since I only had a little over 1month to get this together. See, I've been seriously trying to get stuff together since April, but then school got really busy so I had to stop progress until summer started. I wanted another costume for my next convention, and so I just ended up kind of rushing to get this together.
I have 3 more weeks until my event, and I'd say I'm around 85% done with my first version, so I think I'm in a fairly good place.

Haha I guess I'm the minority then, I instantly loved the OST look. Maybe that's because I'm a female, I liked the fancier vest and the blonde dreads he had.

Oh and I just realized, I ordered a baldric from Captain McCool. Didn't know that was his etsy. But yea, he's great!

And thanks for linking me to the blog. Your blog is very good! Very thorough, you took a lot of time writing the descriptions and such for each of your new items. I enjoy reading through it (gonna bookmark it so I don't lose the link again lol).
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McAnen Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks, guys! I started the blog (as well as a movie review blog) to get me back in the habit of writing. Now I just need to get back to work on my book.

I think it took just over a week to get the sash. It was shipped from Canada.

I'm glad I bought a few extra items this month now because I got thrown from a horse I was trying to train earlier and separated my shoulder. Looks like I'm gonna have to take it easy for a few weeks so I probably won't have much extra money. Hopefully my ER visit bill won't be too outrageous.

I actually like the blond hair in OST, just wasn't a big fan of the zombie finger and waistcoat, although the waistcoat has started to grow on me. I thought at first about doing a mash-up looking for costume and using an OST wig with a DMC waistcoat since my own hair is about that color, but my nit-picky desire to be screen accurate won out. Still, the OST wig is why I might do that version later on.

You're costume is coming along great and I look forward to seeing when your finished. Once my shoulder heals up a bit I'll throw what Jack Sparrow gear I have on with some of my McAnen gear and post a few photos here and on the blog. Looks like I'm gonna have to go on a strict diet to lose some pounds because I think physical exercise is gonna be out of the question for a couple of weeks.
Captain McAnen
Captain McAnen
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:49 pm

You're welcome!

Oh alright, that's great. Although it seems that he took the listing down. So I will have to wait until he has it back up.
Unless someone else on here has an Empire sash they'd be willing to sell me?

Oh well I hope you get better quickly. I can't believe that ERs send bills, I mean it's not your fault you got hurt. I personally think ER services should be free.

I was thinking of using the wig without the OST vest and baldric and just upgrade those later, but I know that would look so obviously wrong (even to non Jack Sparrows probably), so I wouldn't dare do it. lol When I decide to upgrade I will probably have everything OST except for the baldric, for a while. I'm not sure when I'll have an extra $300 sitting around to upgrade my baldric to the proper OST one

Well thank you! Very Happy I will post in this thread again once I finish everything. Probably won't post anything new until the end of July
I'd like to see your progress as well. I'm sure your costume will turn out great. You already have experience with pirate costuming, so I'd imagine your costume will look amazing right from the start.
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McAnen Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 pm

The arm sling I got at the hospital is driving me nuts so I tried to fashion one out of my Jack Sparrow bandana. If I had a broken arm it would work great, but didn't really hold my elbow up enough to support my shoulder.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Razz

Captain McAnen
Captain McAnen
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Just thought I would update. I tried to style my wig. Now this is the first time I have ever attempted to make/heavily alter a wig. So it's pretty rough at this point, Might find some way to try and neaten the braid and side pony tail thing up a bit.
I added a few dreads to it and did the back braid and side pony tail.
The braid is too long, need to unbraid part of it and then trim it though.

Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) Wig_WIP

Still have lots to do on it
I still have to:
*add more dreadlocks (lighter colored ones, and black ones). I'm aiming for 34, I have 21 made, but they aren't all in the wig yet
*trim/thin out some of the hair, as right now there is way too much free flowing hair
*add all the coins and ties
*fade/weather the bandana
*re-do the braid to be neater and slightly shorter
*change out the ends on my kuchi strand (waiting for those to come in the mail)
*add that little braid with the strings going through it on the left side (where the sail needle is)

Bandana from Swagarts
Sail needle from Tyrannical Piratical Treasures on eBay
Kuchi strand from Yordreem with impossible bead set by ACME
Wig from beauty supply store
Dreads made by me.

FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:44 pm

This is as complete as my costume is going to get before Otakon this weekend
Still missing a couple pieces (frock coat, hat, chicken foot <---chicken feet are creepy, so I left that out on purpose lol).

Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) Photo-5-2
Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) Photo-1-2

Sorry for the bad pics. My phone kinda fails at life
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:19 pm

everything looks TOP NOTCH!
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Really? Wow thank you! Very Happy
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McAnen Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm absolutely jealous! You look awesome!
Captain McAnen
Captain McAnen
Scurvy dog

Back to top Go down

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:51 am

Wow thank you very very much!
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:04 am

sung to zoot suit riot...

"I got a fleet street nightmare.... throw back a bottle of beer."
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksadventures Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:27 am

Looks great !
jacksadventures
jacksadventures
I'm On A Boat!

Back to top Go down

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks! Smile

So I am back from Otakon, and I actually managed to get some good photos, thanks to a wonderful friend who went with me (she went as Toph from Avatar the Last Airbender). Now as you all know, I am relatively new to this so please be kind lol

Below are some photos of me in the Baltimore inner harbor area (we got these photos done as we were searching for food lol). The top 3 photos were photos she took randomly as I was moving around and posing for a woman who was running a kiosk

I know I'm missing the chicken foot... but seriously, chicken feet creep me out. So I left that out on purpose.
And let's not talk about my terrible shrunken head, or my unmodified compass and sword. Ran out of time and was afraid to do anything to them No. The head was a last minute thing I added (found it in my closet the night before I left and so it is 100% wrong). I'm also missing my Stolen Ring, I dropped it on the floor in the con center bathroom by accident and it broke
Still gotta stain my sash, make it look dirtier, update my shirt and get myself some CAboots.

Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) 293005_4564984329606_267455311_n-2
Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) 549112_4564984649614_1472041395_n-1
Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) 375683_4564984409608_1545769933_n-1
Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) 487685_4564986809668_1636482337_n
Captain Jack Sparrow (my progress) 384705_4564985329631_1813670654_n-1
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Most excellent job!

Cure for the Chicken Foot Yuckies.....make one out of polymer clay. The first one I ever wore was made of the material. Reinforced with wire, used long grain rice for claws, and painted.

For you ladies with the need for facial hair watch the expert himself! Stan Winston. Follow this and you will have a great looking beard. You can also use mesh back prosthesis and add a layer around the mesh. You can achieve some great effects.

Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down