The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to turn your MR Amethyst ring into a heavy, glimmering jewel of art

2 posters

Go down

How to turn your MR Amethyst ring into a heavy, glimmering jewel of art Empty How to turn your MR Amethyst ring into a heavy, glimmering jewel of art

Post  TheCursed Tue May 24, 2011 2:02 am

I was laying in a tree the other day and had a vision, an epiphany that I must share with the Brethren. I went home and got my MR stolen ring and put it in a vice, any vice you can get in a DIY store or in most workshops. I applied pressure to all sides slowly increasing it til the 'stone' cracked and fell out. Or it can be teased out with a knife etc after its cracked.

Then I went digging around the chest and found an amethyst cabochon. This was an actual amethyst that I traded for a Turquoise bead. Using two pliers I gently bent the sides and edges of the ring out to allow the stone to be dropped in easily. When this could be done I filled the bottom and edges of the bezel with a strong super glue, pushed the stone down hard so it was snug and then after it seemed pretty much secure then used the pliers to fold the edges back in which add to the domed look and also provide more of snug fit for the cabochon. Now you have a rather weighty ring with domed stone of similar size to that used.

However we're not done yet! Unless you like things weathered Wink Adding 24kt gold leaf to bring out the shine on the ring and then giving the stone a little polish/buff your done!! Be warned, over time amethysts will lose their colour if left in sunlight etc this is due to some iron minerals BUT it can be brought back with a little radiation or oddly enough..banana. Something to do with potassium. I'll get pics up asap but the cams on the blink at the mo. cheers me'dears!
TheCursed
TheCursed
Mate

Back to top Go down

How to turn your MR Amethyst ring into a heavy, glimmering jewel of art Empty Re: MR Stolen Ring

Post  Mrs. Captain Jack Sparrow Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:57 am

Wow! That's bloody brilliant! I bet it looks nice. Post a pic Smile
Mrs. Captain Jack Sparrow
Mrs. Captain Jack Sparrow
Landlubber

Back to top Go down