The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post

5 posters

Go down

Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post Empty Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post

Post  Capt Jag Mon May 16, 2011 12:09 pm

I know that there are a few versions of Jack's hangar out there on the market - the Master Replica's version, the toy version, the Musuem Replicas (MRL) "Captain's Hangar" or whatever it's called, the G18 model from another website, and the CAS Iberia/Hanwei "American Revolutionary Hangar" as well as numerous knock offs of varying quality.

Being someone that does swordfights as Jack for some of my gigs, as well as someone who is trained not only in stage/stunt combat but also an instructor in various forms of historical fencing and swordplay (historical fencing, not sport) I have been weighing the pros and cons of each. I have the MR sword - nice, light, a bit on the smallish side as far as the grip/guard, but all in all a nice piece...for wearing. So, I needed on for fighting. I"ve handled the MRL version, and it's a bit big. Then there's the Hanwei sword. I'm very familiar with Hanwei blades and have owned several that have taken a good beating so I know the quality. But the blade is a bit more curved than the MR and Jack's screen used blade.

But, I found it online for $120 (shipped!), so decided to take the chance. It's a good piece. Yes, it is more curved, and the tip is more of a rounded spear point than Jack's. So, I took it to a grinder. This was required anyway since I plan on use it in fighting shows, so I took the opportunity to reshape the tip and narrow the blade down a bit so the curve was less dramaitc. After reshaping, I gave it a nice, round edge and point. I've already used it a few times in rehearsal for a show coming up, and it is holding up quite nicely. All in all, I'm pleased with the sword. It has a grip and guard closer to the size of the Disguise plastic toy, and the balance is really good. It has the same antiqued finish to the blade as the MR, and the grip is covered in leather (a nice plus when doing fights in warmer weather). The scabbard is leather covered wood, and not at all close to Jacks, but I have another weathered leather scabbard that it fits.

All in all, it is a good sword. I got it online at Manventure Outpost, and at this price it is a steal...
I will post some pics later as soon as I get a chance showing some comparisons.

Added 6/2/11

Okay, here are the pics I promised and finally got a chance to put up...
All three Sparrow swords, L to R - the MR, the Hanwei Rev War, and Disguise plastic:
Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post 119
The hilts of all three:
Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post 121
The tips of the MR (L) and the reshaped tip of the Hanwei (R) - sorry I don't have a before pic of the tip...:
Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post 123
And another shot of all three. While the Hanwei is still curved, you can see how reshaping the tip makes it look less "bananna" like, even when side by side with the other 2. And, true to form, you will notice the little paws from the previous picture have evolved into a nosey cat who, of course, has to be involved whenever I'm doing something...
Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post 124
And one of just the Hanwei alone:
Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post 125
"I completely approve and endorse this photo session." - Wolfgang Leonidas the Cat
Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post 126

Last edited by Capt Jag on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:39 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated with pictures)
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

http://www.thecombatcon.com

Back to top Go down

Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post Empty Re: Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post

Post  Captain McCool Tue May 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Nice! Thanks for the review mate! I am also quite a fan of that particular sword, as these things go. It's not perfect, but it's a very nice, affordable substitute for getting one custom made (ouch, my wallet!).

I really want one, but unfortunately I haven't scraped together the funds just yet, and since I've already got a sword that basically works (it's an older Museum Replicas model that's not at all accurate, but it does the trick), it hasn't been top on my priority list. Gotta get on that...

By the by, do you have any good photos of your modified sword?
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

http://www.piratesofillrepute.org

Back to top Go down

Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post Empty Re: Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post

Post  Capt Jag Wed May 18, 2011 7:32 am

I will get some pics of it tonight. Which MRL sword do you have? I have one that they were selling years ago through Atlanta Cutlery (MRL's sister company) that is actually closer to the Hanwei sword, but with a brass hilt that is a smaller version of the hilt on the Captains Hangar. What I like about it is that is has a nice engraved blade (with markings near the guard). It's my general non-jack pirate blade. And it's held up well.

The thing about MRL blades is that there just isn't as much quality consistency as the Hanwei pieces. I really like a lot of the MRL pieces and own quite a few, but I've seen two of the same model sword made at different times where the quality it different between the two. Basically it's kind of hit or miss with them, though I have heard that they have been working on improving that in recent years. A shame, really, since they have some beautiful pieces. Initially in the early days of MRL they were offering much higher quality pieces, with a lot of the blades being made by Del Tin in Italy (very nice, very accurate and very functional) but when they really started to take off they switched to Windlass Steelcrafts in India (which I believe is a partner in AC/MRL).

I had been eyeing the Hanwei Rev War hangar for a while myself, and when I saw it at the Manventure Outpost website for that price I knew I couldn't pass it up. Hanwei (and CAS Iberia) have had their share of quality issues as well, but for the most part the Hanweei pieces have been pretty good, especially for the quality to price ratio. The CAS Iberia side of things are okay, they generally tend to be heavy and are more hit and miss like the MRL pieces, but I've been really happy with the Hanwei swords I own.

Anway, I could talk swords all day... I will get you some pics of the changes I made to my sword and let you know how it holds up through three fighting skits this weekend. Hopefully I'll get some video too.
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain McCool Wed May 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Very nice! Can't wait to see it!

And yes, that's the Museum Replicas sword I have too. I had a friend grind the etching off the blade, since I wanted it to be plain for Jack, and I used Sophisticated Finishes to darken the hilt so it wasn't so glaringly brass. It's held up to a lot of abuse, and I've used it for stage fights on several occasions. Still, it's not quite what I'd like, overall. I really want to get my hands on one of the Hanwei Rev War hangers. I just don't have the $150 or so to throw around at the moment.
Captain McCool
Captain McCool
Pirate King
Pirate King

http://www.piratesofillrepute.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonty Depp - Captain Jack Thu May 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Oooh Jag - if you can grab a pic I'd be interested as I have a Hanwei Jack sword (from Kult of Athena) and agree that it's a bit too curvy. Any info. on where to shave it down etc. gratefully received mate.

Cheers.

Jonts
Jonty Depp - Captain Jack
Jonty Depp - Captain Jack
Blaggard

http://www.jontydepp.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Fri May 20, 2011 7:23 am

Pics soon, I promise - just swamped getting ready for this weekend.

Basically, if you look at the Hanwei sword the tip is more of a rounded spear point - where both sided taper to the middle. Jack's sword actually has an elongated spear point (as on the MR) where the taper isn't as obvious. This rounded tip design on the Hanwei actually enchances the curvature of the blade and makes it more obvious.

To correct this there were two options. I could grind the back of the tip (the false edge) down to the point just in front of the end of the fuller to make it the same proportions of the MR blade. However, this would require a LOT of grinding and steel removal, which is going to ruin the temper of the blade from heating if it is not done gradually and slowly letting the blade cool. This approach takes a LOT of time. Since time was not in large supply, I had to go a different, quicker route.

I tapered the back of the blade from just in front of the fuller to the tip. I didn't take off as much as stated above, just enough to narrow the rounded tip a bit. Then, I reshaped the tip so it was more along the line of a typical drop point, with less rounding than the round spear point. I also removed some steel from the front and finally rounded the tip for safety.

The result is makes the Hanwei look less curvy. After this weekend, I plan to actually do more work on it and continue to reshape the tip. of course, the blade will always be curved, but doing this makes it far less obvious. Just take your time and go slow - don't let the blade get too hot or you'll ruin the temper and no longer have a functional sword.
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Functional Jack-style sword - Pics Added 6/2/11 to first post Empty war hanger hanwei

Post  JayRocks Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:16 pm

I have the revolutionary war hanger and i love it!
I just can't stop pulling it out of the scabbard, putting it back just for pulling it again.. and again.. and again.... and so on
The Sound is beautiful!
JayRocks
Eunuch
Eunuch

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:22 am

JayRocks wrote:I have the revolutionary war hanger and i love it!
I just can't stop pulling it out of the scabbard, putting it back just for pulling it again.. and again.. and again.... and so on
The Sound is beautiful!

....You need to find yourself a girl, mate....

Razz
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Capt Jag wrote:
JayRocks wrote:I have the revolutionary war hanger and i love it!
The Sound is beautiful!

....You need to find yourself a girl, mate....

Razz

At least we know that he ISN'T a eunich! Laughing
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  JayRocks Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:54 pm

No, You don't understand.. I'm doing this because I already found one and otherwise I'd be incapable of wooing said strumet... lol! Pillage
JayRocks
Eunuch
Eunuch

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt Jag Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 am

Ah well, much more bettah then....

Carry on!! Laughing
Capt Jag
Capt Jag
Mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down