The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor

3 posters

Go down

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Empty MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor

Post  Captain Matt Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Ahoy mates and a fine day to ye!

It has been quite a week and a half since my last update,  I will post the details regarding each treasure in their perspective categories here in the Court.  I had so many things happen this week that some of them will not be posted until later in the next week as a great deal of my time is also being consumed as I have begun work on a spectacular and fangtastic production of Bram Stokers Dracula.  This is my second year having the opportunity to play the iconic dweller of the night, and I am ridiculously excited about this years production - however, even in the midst of taking on and living Dracula for the next couple of months, Jack is with me - intently, and I am perfectly fine with that!

I have to say that the last week and half (as in weeks past) has been literally consumed by all things Jack- morning...noon...& night!  Needless to say, as many of you fellow sea dogs can relate, the quest to commandeer the necessary treasures to prepare Jack to set sail on his many journeys' aboard to Pearl can be all consuming indeed!  That is not to say that there is anything wrong with those fellows that make the decision to commandeer a complete "off the rack" costume or something that is pre-fabricated for the most part or major pieces that are; however and for better or worse, I chose a different course.  It all began when was able to find and plunder the last 62 Yards of  uncut Ebony 903 available to the public - that set me down a course that I honestly was not planning on in the beginning.  I had always planned on designing and creating my own custom Jack wardrobe with the support of Donna (my seamstress), and I was prepared for what I knew would be a lengthy trek, however, I was not prepared for the absolute passion, drive, and absorbed nature of said pursuit once the screen accurate bug hit me when I saw the Ebony 903. There is no turning back now, and my OCD level of attention to detail combined with my perfectionist mindset and my love for character related wardrobes, has created a monster the likes of which the Kraken herself would be wise to avoid.  LOL - however, I digress!

Without further delay - back to the last week and a half of adventure -

Foot Apparatus' that cover said Foot, or Feet rather... that protect from all variety of elements and slithering creepy crawlies and so forth's and so on's referred to as me BOOTS!  

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Captma92

We all know how important the upper half of Jacks costume is and the details that must be there in order to satisfy our inner and outer Jack nature, however, as any Pirate and most mere mortals can attest to, unless of course you come from an area or time in history, where footwear is for the weak - we must not forget our friends down below - below the belts, the pelts, and the breeches!  

As it states in Jack Sparrow Costuming,  http://jacksparrowcostuming.wikispaces.com/Boots ,and in Wardrobe 101 - what we choose to put on our feet in Jack mode or any other, can make or break ones fashion statement or lack thereof.  However, in order to meet ones desire to get Jacks foot décor right, it can be a hefty investment, as many of my fellows can attest to who have managed to commandeer the most screen accurate footwear by Caboots!  

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Captma98

Although I have not witness the Caboots in person, I can see from the photos that they are indeed things of beauty and I was close to purchasing a pair for myself on ebay, where they are priced at $290,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-SPARROW-COSTUME-PIRATE-BOOTS-100-Suede-Leather-Size-10-US-Tan-/261584469367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce7a63d77  

vs $360 at the Caboots website,

https://www.caboots.com/cart/product/pirates_ii_jack_sparrow_tan_pirate_boots_a1/

Yet despite, or in spite, of the fact that I could purchase a pair for the lovelies, I have, and I cannot believe the words are being typed on the keyboard that sits beneath me finger tips, made the ambitious to decision to fabricate my own set of Jack worthy boots.  Why?  I ask myself that question as well and the answer stems from my inner desire to design and/or create things on my own if possible - using the wealth of knowledge and information that others have put forth before me!   When I see what amazing things people have accomplished or are in the midst of accomplishing, I tell myself often, "If their doing it, there is no reason why I can't do it, I know I can do it!"  It may take more time and more trials and it may not always work out as I may have planned, however, I enjoy the challenge of attempting to accomplish things that some may say cannot be done, or should not be done, or won't be done as well as someone else has done it.  The value is not in what others think about the things you do or do not do, it is about the inner satisfaction and confidence you gain in pushing forward.  So....I am pushing forward in this!

During my research in this new venture, I came across the tutorial by Sith  Camero, once again at the JSC site -

http://jacksparrowcostuming.wikispaces.com/file/view/Making%20the%20ultimate%20Jack%20Sparrow%20boots.pdf/454060928/Making%20the%20ultimate%20Jack%20Sparrow%20boots.pdf

After I made the determination that I was going to fabricate my own set of Jack's boots, I started the search for the perfect inexpensive pair of quality boots to use as my base!  There were plenty of examples out there, however, not may that were in the right price range for this kind of inaugural quest.
It took days of ebay  surfing and finally a pair of oddball boots showed up that I thought would work.  Oddball - because they were listed as "Rare Mens Vintage Wells Fargo Cowboy Boots 12D"
The shape of the "shoe" part (which I will use for my base) of the custom made "Wells Fargo" denim, leather, and suede boots are not 100% Screen Accurate, however, the overall composition will, in my completely inexperienced boot making opinion, make a more than passing example of Jacks boots.  After many comparisons between the photos of the boots in the auction and Jack's boots, I decided to take the plunge and with 1 bid at less than 1 minute to go in the auction that had NO BIDS, I won - and I won inexpensively - a nice way to start this challenge indeed!  

The Boots Arrived

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Captma93

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Captma94

The boots are in splendid condition and are honestly very cool in and of themselves.  They came from an estate auction and, according to the seller, must have been made and used as a Wells Fargo promotional item.

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Captma99

They show very little sign of wear.  The base is blue suede with a denim shaft that is lined with leather.  The shaft will be removed and used as the basis for the larger shaft pattern that I will cut from suede that I have yet to purchase.

Here are some comparison shots of the boots on me next to a couple of the original images of J.D. as the Jack costume was still being tweaked for COBP. Keep in mind that the angles and lighting in the photos - regardless, I believe most would agree, these unique custom Wells Fargo boots will transform ever so deliciously into a unique custom pair of boots worthy for Jacks stopping grounds!

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Captma95

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Captma97

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Captma96

Next steps:

1.  I will detach the current shaft from the base and create the new pattern for the oversized shaft at 18" with a 10" cuff.
2.  I will be heading to the leather store to search for and purchase or order just the right uncut suede to complete the shaft and new covering for the boots and put it all together!

Stay tuned!
Captain Matt
Captain Matt
Ballast Pig

http://www.mattwigginsentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Empty Re: MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor

Post  marnibal Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:43 am

great! really enjoy yours adventures Smile
marnibal
marnibal
Rascal

Back to top Go down

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Empty Dido

Post  Captain Matt Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:08 am

Why thank you fine Sir - and I yours! Together we shale concur the seas! Pearl

At the wheel
Captain Matt
Captain Matt
Ballast Pig

Back to top Go down

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Empty Re: MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor

Post  FleetStreetNightmare Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:50 am

Those boots you found look really good. What a lucky find. Also you're very lucky to have picked up the last of the Ebony Raffia available to the public. You got so much of it too, haha you could start making Jack Sparrow coats for Sparrows. You wouldn't be selling any of it would you? lol
FleetStreetNightmare
FleetStreetNightmare
Mate

Back to top Go down

MWE&D Adventures of Captain Jack: Boots - An Ambitious Endeavor Empty Ahoy!

Post  Captain Matt Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:58 am

Ahoy

I just so happen to have two 6 yard cuts left that I am selling. I have one cut that is pending right now for the U.K. The last cut of Paul Kaufman Ebony 903 known to exist for we mortal Pirates of planet earth, I have yet to post for sale -

I am willing to sell said cut to you for $300 via paypal plus shipping (US averages $35 for the oversized package and UK is averaging $100)
Believe me, that is not much more than it cost per yard when it was readily available and I am not making much on it. It was never an inexpensive fabric to begin with - and it does not get any more rare than it is now! Once this last 2 cuts are gone - that is all she wrote for the E 903 in unblemished form accept for the cuts I am keeping for my own coats.

Let me know and enjoy the days adventure! Jolly Roger
Captain Matt
Captain Matt
Ballast Pig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down