The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!!

4 posters

Go down

I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! Empty I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!!

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Well we all know what the vintage banjara tassel is that is in Captain Jack Sparrow's On Stranger Tides wig. Countless searches on eBay, Etsy, and the web have turned up various handmade jewelry that were all shipped from India with high prices and shipping. Also not to mention that many of these items are vintage so some pieces came damaged.

Jacks vintage banajara tassel (albeit you can see that this one is cast because of the bad clean up job on the seams)
I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! CJSBanjaratassel

So rather than trying to find a complete piece of jewelry I decided to make my own. I created a mold for the lead based piece and made a few test casts. After modifying the original I created a final mold.

I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! CIMG6858_resize

After that I next tried to hunt down some of these red pom-poms but once again if you didn't purchase the entire piece and dismantle it you would not find them. So after countless hours of online research, talking to countless people in "tribal discussion" threads, and reaching deep, down into my Banjara roots, (and practice, practice, practice) I made my own pom-poms.

I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! CIMG6857_resize

And so finally I completed the construction and installed in my wig!

Out with the original old version from two years ago!!!
I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! 10Rosebouquetdread-1

And in with the new!! One step closer to near perfection!!
I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! CIMG6862_resize
I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! CIMG6864_resize
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! Empty Re: I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!!

Post  Dutchman Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Congrats, great job!
Dutchman
Dutchman
Galley Slave

Back to top Go down

I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! Empty Re: I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!!

Post  Mojo Turbo Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:01 pm

truly you are a master craftsman!
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jack o fan Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:22 pm

I like it. Do you still make them?
jack o fan
jack o fan
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 am

Yup! I got some in stock.
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutchman Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:44 am

Capn_Jack_Savvy wrote:

Jacks vintage banajara tassel (albeit you can see that this one is cast because of the bad clean up job on the seams)
I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! CJSBanjaratassel

A while ago I found a complete ornament on a flea-market:

I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! Picture13_zps23c78040

The ones on this one consist out of two seperate pieces. The so called pom-pom's are more orange coloured instead of the deep red:

I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! Picture11_zps7cd197c1

That being said, vintage tassels also have a seam from the casting:

I've gone TRIBAL mates - Banjara tassel style!! Banjara4_zpsd3c16f2b

The metal seems a bit soft, so indeed, lead (or tin?).

I wanna keep this piece as a whole to maybe use it for another project. (But to Capn_Jack_Savvy: If you really, really, really want one, I'd be happy to help you. Perhaps we can trade something, beads or whatever. You can always pm me about it. The one you made looks great nonetheless)

Cheers

Dutchman
Dutchman
Galley Slave

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 am

I had one but it was ripped off accidentally from my wig so I switched out to a reproduced version. It is a bit more light weight and I don't feel bad if I loose it. I have two complete sets that I used for casting the cold cast resin versions. So thanks!

The tassels that Jack has are a bit more red than orange so that is why I went with the red colored string.

By the way the tassels are made of lead and are easily damaged if crushed or squeezed or ................... Be very careful with them!
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutchman Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

Allrighty, cheers!
Dutchman
Dutchman
Galley Slave

Back to top Go down

Post  jack o fan Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Capn_Jack_Savvy my good man....your tassel is amazing. Thanks again for everything. Very Happy
jack o fan
jack o fan
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:59 pm

No problem mate! We aim to please! New things are coming......as long as I get off me arse and cast!
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Capn_Jack_Savvy
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  jack o fan Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Looking forward to it!
jack o fan
jack o fan
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down