The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Screen Accurate Boot Maker

+3
Bilge Rat
Mojo Turbo
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
7 posters

Go down

Screen Accurate Boot Maker Empty Screen Accurate Boot Maker

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Ahoy all,

I am still in search of the perfect SA boot and am wanting to gauge how much interest is there out there for a new SA boot provider? If you are interested in upgrading to a better SA boot please let your voice be heard here. I really want to get this project up and running. I have been trying to get the ball rolling for several years.

Over the past year or so Jacks Adventures (a member on here) attempted to have boots made by the historical boot company known as Fugawee. We were very excited about this eventuality, but unfortunately this company did not end up coming through and did not complete a prototype. (Jacks Adventures you may wish to add to this and provide more details if you so desire).

I do however know of another company named Motor Cowboy (feel free to check out their website, they have many pictures of the quality boots they make of all kinds/times/genres). The owner has been very helpful in the past when I inquired about having some custom Jack boots made over a year ago. He seemed very keen to take on the project but would require pictures, specifications and personal measurements per order. These boot would be made to your custom/personal specifications.

I am interested to know how many out there would be interested in getting a run of boots going? I am also open to ideas of other vendors/boot makers out there who may be keen to take on the project.

I'd really appreciate as much input as possible from all of you folks that are interested. Wink

Please comment, discuss, give ideas etc. I look forward to hearing from my fellow pirates. And go!!!...

Kind regards,

CJS 478 Sparrow
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Screen Accurate Boot Maker Empty Re: Screen Accurate Boot Maker

Post  Mojo Turbo Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:38 am

Just as a refresher, can you let some of us know how CABoots "fail" at being SA being that they were the makers of said boot? Thanks...
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bilge Rat Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 am

The biggest problem with Caboots is most people I know have not gotten exactly what they paid for.  Ordering Customs and getting sent Regulars.  Jack's boots have the seam covered up the back.  Sometimes you get that with Caboots, most the time....not.  Color is too reddish, even when you order the natural leather.
   They send out the round toe, even when you order the 2 inch square, and they say that is the 2 inch square you got, it just looks roundish to you.
      I could go on, but those are my main complaints with Caboots. I even called them and they told me they could not actually offer an exact boot like the movie, because its copyrighted????  I disagree, its a boot, boots have been around for a long long time!
   A better boot maker would be a great find!
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat
Boatswain

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Bilge Rat wrote:The biggest problem with Caboots is most people I know have not gotten exactly what they paid for.  Ordering Customs and getting sent Regulars.  Jack's boots have the seam covered up the back.  Sometimes you get that with Caboots, most the time....not.  Color is too reddish, even when you order the natural leather.
   They send out the round toe, even when you order the 2 inch square, and they say that is the 2 inch square you got, it just looks roundish to you.
      I could go on, but those are my main complaints with Caboots. I even called them and they told me they could not actually offer an exact boot like the movie, because its copyrighted????  I disagree, its a boot, boots have been around for a long long time!
   A better boot maker would be a great find!

Well said. They're sizing is way off too. Often people will receive boots that are either too large or too small. There's been problems with the shaft height and shaft circumference. Some people unable to even get their foot ot leg into the boots. Caboots has terrible customer service and don't care about your specs and whether your happy with your purchase.
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:30 am

I feel fortunate that my boots fit great and were exactly what I asked for.
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:20 am

I wish mine did. 2 pairs later and I can't wear either pair as they don't fit...
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Any interest out there at all?
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:56 am

Just heard back from Motor Cowboy and they are keen to take on this project. I am considering going ahead with it sometime soon. If anyone is interested in having some made or interested in helping with ideas etc please feel free to comment here or PM me.

Kind regards,

CJS 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  micks75au Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:14 am

look forward to seeing a product
micks75au
micks75au
Bilge Swiller

Back to top Go down

Post  jack o fan Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:41 am

I just glad I don't have my boot yet. I'm trying soooooo hard not to give in to Caboots. I don't want to give them my money.
jack o fan
jack o fan
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post  micks75au Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 am

You and me both mate....went with a stock size too narrow around the ankle and across the width of the foot. Finally had to re-sell it after trying to stretch it.
Bitterly disappointed.

micks75au
micks75au
Bilge Swiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:50 pm

If things work out well with Motor Cowboy would you guys both be interested in these?
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:13 am

Hey guys,

I'm looking to go ahead with this project and have the boots made. For all those interested what do you feel are the screen accurate specs of the boots?

Any ideas or knowledge please post it here.

I'm trying to do as much research as I can and compile as much information/knowledge as possible to get these made right.

The Cpt Jack community deserves quality boots from a boot maker they can trust to get the job done right.

Thank you to all who wish to support this project!!! SmileBeer 
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:54 am

Another thing I'm not sure about is whether the boots should be made in 2 pieces as traditional boots of the period were, or in 3 pieces as is done by Caboots.

Any ideas/suggestions on what would be best?

Thanks! pirat 
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:46 am

I would refer to Cap'n McCools post about boots that I'm sure you're seen before...

http://www.brethrencourt.net/t694-caboots-is-there-an-alternative

You should be able to get quite a bit from that.

And to answer your question about period accurate vs screen accurate...this whole forum is for people that are replicating something that's been seen on screen.  So take that for what it's worth.
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:19 pm

Jinkxed Jack wrote:I would refer to Cap'n McCools post about boots that I'm sure you're seen before...

http://www.brethrencourt.net/t694-caboots-is-there-an-alternative

You should be able to get quite a bit from that.

And to answer your question about period accurate vs screen accurate...this whole forum is for people that are replicating something that's been seen on screen.  So take that for what it's worth.

Thanks mate. I have indeed referred to those posts. Just wondered if there's any other ideas out there...
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Jinkxed Jack Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:14 am

Doh!  Well, that's embarrasin.  Embarassed I'm usually better about that.  I think I'm starting to get old when I fail to notice something right in front of me.  Either that or my horrible near sightedness. Without glasses/contacts I can't see more than a few inches in front of me w/out things going blurry.
Jinkxed Jack
Jinkxed Jack
Jack Tar

Back to top Go down

Post  jack o fan Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 pm

I'm just worried about the sticker price from a pair from Motor Cowboy. If I had to choose, I would want screen accurate. Like Bilge Rat said....I also don't see how a boot can be copyrighted.

Can Motor Cowboy make them close to what Caboots wants for theirs? The custom price of course.Very Happy 
jack o fan
jack o fan
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 pm

jack o fan wrote:I'm just worried about the sticker price from a pair from Motor Cowboy. If I had to choose, I would want screen accurate. Like Bilge Rat said....I also don't see how a boot can be copyrighted.

Can Motor Cowboy make them close to what Caboots wants for theirs? The custom price of course.Very Happy 

I believe the price to be similar to Caboots. Once you start adding custom specs to Caboots they easily get up towards $500 in price.
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:34 am

Hey guys, I'm ready to go ahead with the boots.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions? Trying to put together all the specs, details and pics to create the most SA boot possible.

Also, anyone who has interest in a pair feel free to PM me. Cheers! Wink 
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  halowarmor Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:27 am

So did you ever get your boots from motorcowboy? If so what are your thoughts?
halowarmor
halowarmor
Rascal

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Jack Sparrow 478 Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:31 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry. We are currently still working on it and getting the specs right etc. Haven't gone into production yet…

There's a lot of ground work involved..
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Captain Jack Sparrow 478
Jester of Tortuga

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down