The Brethren Court
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caught the bug

4 posters

Go down

Caught the bug Empty Caught the bug

Post  Cap'n Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:13 pm

I've only a month and a half ago caught the Cap'n Jack Sparrow bug, lol. Since then I've been making mostly my own items, lots of sewing, lots of innovation. I still have a long way to go to move into the high standards of many here, but I'll post a few pics of what I've got happening thus far.

Keep in mind my effects are changing almost daily. I've just finished a third dye job of my (made by me) waistcoat, and finally got the aubergine color just right, which to me is quite exciting! Now I have sprayed the front with bleach and have it out in the sun. I also have my bandana out in the sun, have to order another one as after I got it, I realized "exact" didn't mean exact, lol.

When I started on this, I just used whatever I had, I made a baldric out of pleather, used a picture frame for the buckle, lol, an incorrect white tea bagged linen sash, wrong sword, brown waistcoat, but people didn't seem to care, they really don't pay attention... So here's a picture of my costume by Hallowed Eve 2016, with my eight year old daughter. I did her costume for her too  Smile

Caught the bug Img_2010

Since then, I've made a couple buckles, and am readying to make new belts and baldric, out of pleather, but I've searched high and low and found high quality pleather which actually has grain and looks like leather. I also found a snakeskin in pleather for the new third belt.

I made the wig using four wigs. I have two human hair wigs collected for when I make a new one.
Caught the bug 14763710

I made th epalm glove out of some leather I had.
Caught the bug 14767610

My new baldric buckle. I know it's not perfect, but will sell it with the pleather baldric when I've made my new ones.
Caught the bug Img_2011

My new snake belt buckle, this one is my pride thus far, big, heavy, and it looks great. I can hardly wait to get sewing!
Caught the bug Receiv10

Thanks for your kindness, and in sharing your thoughts Smile

Last edited by Cap'n on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Cap'n
Cap'n
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Caught the bug Empty Re: Caught the bug

Post  Blade Savvy Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:00 pm

Mate, rest stuff. Always better when you fabricate stuff yourself! And you're right, most people just see 'Jack', it's only us other Jacks at would notice anything, and then, we only offer encouragement, never criticise! Keep it up.
Blade Savvy
Blade Savvy
Bucko

Back to top Go down

Post  Cap'n Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:52 pm

I sure am enjoying myself, thanks for the encouragement, I wasn't sure if this forum was a total ghost ship, lol, very little activity.

I'm getting better at SA too, have to redo the snake belt buckle, forgot to add the little skulls... , though might sell that one when the entire snake belt is complete, I have enough material to do two or three complete.

I carved out of wood the netsuke mermaid. I made the snake vertebrae out of white pencil eraser, lol.

I'm so happy with my waistcoat now, need more buttons whenever they arrive,  just looking around for the right material for the back, the brown striped material, not sure what's on the inside, a black silk is it? Or black linen? Anyone know?  
Caught the bug 15034210
I've figured out I'm going to fold the current button areas inside when I line it, that will make the front much easier to keep open to show the chest. And yes, not enough buttons, have been waiting for a re-supply at the shop where I got those.

I've found burlap, but not black, perhaps I'll have to buy a pouch of black dye and do a bunch of things at the same time.

I'm going to have to start taking more pictures Smile

Last edited by Cap'n on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cap'n
Cap'n
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Post  Blade Savvy Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:08 pm

Simon newton us your man for buttons. Top bloke. Activity on here is a little sporadic I admit but will pick up with the new movie. Trust me, it will hit full speed next year! Enjoy the back catalogue. Loads of info, advice and all you need for taking your costume forward. Ask any questions, there are loads of good guys/gals on here.
Blade Savvy
Blade Savvy
Bucko

Back to top Go down

Post  Cap'n Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:56 pm

Ah, the buttons, I should have made my own now I'm getting handy with polymer air dry clay... I suppose I still can, which just gave me an idea, the baldric Chicago screws!

I just finished the snake belt tonight, now I have to figure out what he does with the end of it, or if it's real short just past the buckle.
Caught the bug 15064111

I also made a chicken foot today, worked out much better than I imagined it would, has yet to be painted though.
Caught the bug 15033910

I've also made today the sun belt buckle, it's drying for the night and will paint it tomorrow evening, as I'm working tomorrow.
Caught the bug 15057810

In another month or two, I should be SA.

And yeah, I'm sure it will pick up in here around May of 2017, but for now I'm sure thankful to this site, it's been a Godsend.

I've been out twice in my costume, and I'll tell you, there's no lack of people who love Jack Sparrow, I had cars stopping on busy streets, people jumping out for photos, each time out I must have had 150 photos with people, it was crazy fun!
Cap'n
Cap'n
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Post  Blade Savvy Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:49 pm

That foot looks great! Failing that, I use the dog treats (dried chicken feet). Dead cheap and resilient. You sure have a talent.
Keep up the good work.
Blade Savvy
Blade Savvy
Bucko

Back to top Go down

Post  Cap'n Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Here's my new Sun Buckle painted

Caught the bug Img_2014

I think I'm goin got have to buy the Anna Maria buckle, it's a bit too complex and intricate to make, where is the most OST/DMTNT SA version (reduced for 2" belt) available?

And here's the chicken foot painted Smile

Caught the bug Img_2015

Now to order a new bandana while the one I have is sitting out on the patio for the next couple months.

I've tried every means possible to get hold of SM Pillowfort to obtain the paisley silk for a waistcoat, but have had no reply...
Cap'n
Cap'n
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Caught the bug Empty Well... it's coming slowly but surely

Post  Cap'n Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Here's where I'm at, yes there's lots still wrong with it, but I'm having fun, and it's come a long way in less than a month.

I've made:
snake belt and buckle
sun belt and buckle
anamaria belt and buckle
baldric belt and buckle and chicago screws
waistcoat
sash
palm glove
compass
chicken foot
snake vertebrae
mermaid

I also heavily modified the toy flintlock to make it look and feel more real, and filled it with clay so it's heavy.
No sword, need to get still.

Pic inspired by Indy Magnoli  What a Face

Caught the bug Dscn1810
Cap'n
Cap'n
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:02 am

Good JOb !!!!
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cap'n Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:50 am

Mojo Turbo wrote:Good JOb !!!!

Thanks Smile

I have natural shirt linen tea dyed (4 yards) going through several washes and dry's before I make it into the shirt, I've also made a new baldric, still not the mahogany paisley, but getting better at all this sewing lol.
Cap'n
Cap'n
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Caught the bug Empty My new sword and baldric

Post  Cap'n Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Finally got this complete. Yes I know the baldric isn't SA, but it's better than my last one, and I've found a paisely to make another baldric.

The baldric and sword

Caught the bug Img_2017

The sword before and after

Caught the bug Sword_10
Cap'n
Cap'n
Whelp

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Turbo Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:50 am

no worries mate, made yourself is always more better than just buying all of it. Great job !!!!
Mojo Turbo
Mojo Turbo
Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

http://www.jacksparrowcostuming.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  White Ocean Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Your work is very inspiring! It's certainly better than what I could have done!
I'm really admiring the attention to detail and how you can work with so many different materials! I'm expecting great stuff from you in the future!

Blade Savvy wrote:Mate, rest stuff. Always better when you fabricate stuff yourself!  And you're right, most people just see 'Jack', it's only us other Jacks at would notice anything, and then, we only offer encouragement, never criticise!  Keep it up.
I'm a bit ashamed to admit it but even though I really like PotC I'm not knowledgeable/hardcore enough to notice what's screen accurate etc. At least not yet. I do really enjoy seeing everyone's Jack costumes in here and I wish that someday I'll do a PotC costume myself as well, or at least a good-looking pirate outfit!
White Ocean
White Ocean
Scoundrel

http://www.inkandsword.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum